How to guesstimate mains water pressure?

Is there any way to estimate what our water pressure is?

I need to know it approximately (i.e. is it 2bar, 3bar, 5bar, 8bar) to get some idea of whether I need a pressure reducing valve for a device which needs one if the pressure is over 4.2bar.

Reply to
tinnews

I think a water tank would need to be 40 metres above the device to create 4 bar of pressure so, unless your mains pressure is unusually high or you live at the foot of a very tall building, you should be ok

Reply to
stuart noble

Um, given that the subject is "mains water pressure", the height of his tank (if present) is a bit irrelevant.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Connect the device to the water supply. If this buggers it the pressure is too high.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You need something like

with which to measure it. [I'm sure I didn't pay that much for mine!]

It has a 3/4"BSP female connector - so will easily screw onto most outside taps or a washing machine tap. Screw it on, open the tap - and hey presto!

If you do that with no water running, that will tell you the *static* pressure. Although probably not needed for your purpose, it may be interesting to see how much the pressure drops when, say, you fully open the cold tap on a bath. If the gauge is fitted as close as possible to where the mains enters the house, this gives a good idea of upstream restrictions in the supply pipe.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ah yes, the subject line. More than a bit irrelevant then

Reply to
stuart noble