How to get bath water to the garden?

Combi running for eight minutes at ten litres a minute means about eighty litres in the bath.

Sixteen bucket of five litres each would do it. All the way down the stairs and out into the garden.

But is there an easier way? How might siphoning be done practically?

If the hose goes out of the window there's extra height to suck. If the hose goes down the stairs a long hose is needed.

Could one suck using mouth to start the flow? Or is there a pump that could be incorporated in the hose?

Practical details would be much appreciated!

Reply to
Chris

No need to suck to start a siphon. Fill the hose with water (from a handy tap), stop the flow, stuff end of hose in bath, open the flow and siphon will run.

Another way is to immerse enough hose in the bath so there is enough filled length get the water level in the hose outside the window below that in the bath. Stop the flow hoik length of filled hose out of the window and open the flow.

Stopping the flow can be done by simply folding the hose.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Plumb the bath waste to an outside tap? With a valve so you could contol whether the waste water went to the drain or the tap?

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Check the rules of the current hosepipe ban.

As daft as it may seem, on a previous occasion when I lived in the area of a ban, the ban included any use of a hosepipe; including using one to empty the bath.

If your current rules do not apply to using a hosepipe in this way, then syphoning will work and be cheap. If you don't like the idea of possibly getting a mouthful of bath water, then you can buy cheap pumps that can be run by inserting in a drill (or angle grinder? ;-) ).

Reply to
Howard Neil

In message , Howard Neil writes

Don't forget that sewage is not *lost to the system*. The river Lea, where I am, would probably be dry in Summer were it not for the output from sewage treatment plants at Luton and Harpenden.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The other type of pump which is reasonably cheap and convenient especially if you are trying to set up something slightly more permanent is a small bilge pump, normally running of 12 volts. A range of sizes on eBay. I use one to transfer water in my stables, running off a leisure battery.

Or for a mains pump, salvage the drain pump out of a dishwasher or washing machine. I have a couple in my workshop somewhere waiting for just such an opportunity.

Reply to
newshound

Pond pump?

Cheap and nasty CH pump Heath-Robinson'd on to the hose (couple of copper reducers down to 2 stubs of 15mm pipe - jubilee the hoses on each end).

CH pump will not self prime though - pond pumps might.

1m lift is nothing, so I'd arrange the pump outside on the ground under a cover, flex indoors to RCD socket, and the hose up through the window, tied on outside so when bath finished, open window, pull hose in and drop in bath, go down switch on pump and water away...
Reply to
Tim Watts

If the rules say that, use some common sense and be damned with the rules!

I'd like to see a water company hold that case together in front of a magistrate... Not for one moment I believe any water company, if shown where the hose goes, would do anything more than say "well done". After all - you are returning the water to ground where it may eventually be of use to them.

If it goes down the drain, it's likely to get treated, dumped in a river and lost to the sea - unless you live west of London, in which case someone else wil be drinking it soon.

Reply to
Tim Watts

hoses are banned. Dennis will report you

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Idiot! only certain uses of hose pipes and only in certain places.

Probably not as we never have a hose ban around here and I don't care if he leaves you without water.

Reply to
dennis

And we all know big companies and magistrates are as sane as dennis on the wrong medication.

Just like the time I got a written warning for putting the wrong waste into the weelie bin. Not only could I prove that someone else had put the empty can in the bin as they walked down the street I could also prove that it took longer to issue the warning than just remove the can (I managed to make the council waste their time writing 5 letters before I got an apology)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Put the hose in place. Fill the hose from the bath tap. Kink the hose just below the tap to close it off. Take it off the tap, submerge and unkink it. Hold the end underwater with a brick and a loop of string.

Bollocks to rules about not connecting hoses to taps.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I used to cycle past the Luton sewage works at East Hyde each day. Had to remember to put the goggles on and keep your mouth closed, due to the high concentration of flies. (I believe they covered over some of it since then, and the smell isn't quite as bad.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What hosepipe ban?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Fuck to showers.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Good for you!

Just don't move to Bexley - they have a whole website dedicated to pissing off their councillers:

Tim Watts

How about attaching a guttering downpipe to the wall, and running the hose inside that ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Ah! Lots of engineering work and a different system now. The old lime cake has gone. Sadly as it was a cheap way of liming and fertilising arable land.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Speaking of Bexley

contain nuts.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Why go to that much effort? Move the bath into the veg garden. Pull the plug - garden watered.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet