How to fix patio slabs (to use as shed base)

Afternoon all,

I need to lay a small patio as a base for a shed.

I was planning to level the ground, then lay patio slabs for the shed to sit on. My question is: what should I fix the slabs in place with? Dry mix concrete? Some other mix? Nothing at all?

Thanks in advance, Al Reynolds

Reply to
Al Reynolds

I used 4/5 to 1 sand/cement.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Why bother with the slabs? Just lay a concrete base.

Reply to
Eiron

Because I have to carry all the material up a

45 degree slope and slabs are easier to carry. It also means that if I decide I don't want a shed that: (a) the slabs can be used as a patio, or (b) I can remove the slabs (much more easily than a concrete base).

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Cheers Mungo,

And did you just lay this as a screed layer and bed the slabs into it? How thick a layer did you use?

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

The earth was flattened (to a certain definition of flattened - I hate moving earth) and then sand and cement was mixed up on a board in quite rough proportions, hence 4/5:1, piled onto the earth and flattened. It worked out to about 2 inches thick, not a lot really, it's not like it was going to have to bear a great load and they haven't moved. Yet.

You might want to mix up a proper mortar for the edges though, to stop them sliding over.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

If you can get it fairly flat, just lay them.

Reply to
Nigel M

Cheers, that's pretty much what I thought. Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Sand or nothing at all is pretty effective.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher