How to find a builder/plumber

Is there a special group for posting requests for builders etc. or can I post here? I know this is DIY but I need some help....

Thanks.

Reply to
atticus

You could have a look over in the screwfixdirect forums, mind you,theres no guarantee of a good job anywhere from anyone from builders to lawyers and doctors.

tarquinlinbin

I haven't found a totally foolproof way to find reliable tradesmen, but if you deal with any local tradesman who you think is OK, ask him about who he might recommend for other trades.

Many plumbers will know of electricians, brickies will know of plasterers etc. If it's one that they regularly work alongside, they'll probably know if they're any good.

Reply to
Roly

This is not wholly reliable (the carpenter recommended by my plumber was pretty useless), but that and asking your friends & neighbours is definitely the way to go... My (otherwise excellent) plumber does not advertise, his van isn't sign written and if it's non-urgent it'll be about 3 months before he can get to you. We found him by word-of-mouth.

(ObDIY; I only use him for big, complicated jobs, or when I can't find the Round Tuit.)

Reply to
Huge

Ditto my builder - he has far more work than he can handle by word of mouth. To get hold of him I actually had to drive to one of his sites and copy the number off his board - he's not even in the phone book.

Be brazen - look for extensions etc., being built and ask the homeowner whether they would reccommend the builder. Personal recommendation from a client (not another tradesman) is the only sure way.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Not sure what locations it covers but

(which seems to redirect to
provides details of certain trades and supposed recommendations from clients of theirs. Seems to not have many options but has a general 'score' provided by people who have used them (though how reliable this may be is anyones guess). Also the description you use seems to change what you get recommended, it only has certain categories it seems.

Reply to
Woby Tide