How to cut a plank diagonally on a table saw?

Not sure where cross cutting comes into this, these boards are being ripped end to end at an angle. Cross cut jigs and fences are indeed useful with the rip fence removed when cutting mitres etc. or with a stop for cutting timber for length.

michael adams

michael adams

For long stuff, just use a second plank and some double sided sticky tape:

John Rumm

Its also a dangerous method. IMO you should never feed timber into a table saw without using a fence.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is the correct answer.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

With difficulty!

I wouldn't use a table saw for that job - I'd use a sliding mitre saw.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Sounds like me getting the wrong end of the stick (plank) again

Reply to
stuart noble

For "long triangles"? I read that to mean cutting a plank say 12' long and 8" wide between diagonal corners. We really need to know the dimensions of thes eplanks and how long is "long".

For a one off I'd go "freehand" and stand on the same side of the blade as the bit of plank I'm pushing so if the saw does kick the free bit whizzes past me not into me. One ought to do that anyway ...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thnaks for that, though drilling the holes for the two coach bolts might be a challenge to get accurate and making the stay. Think I'd use a nice brass screw down window stay, like:

250 mm is a bit long but the stay could be cut down. The screw down and end pivot would stop the boards fully closing but a suitable spacer block at the hinge end would cure that.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice