How to attach ceiling pattresses securely

Hi,

My father has used a circular piece of wood to attach to the ceiling to which he then attaches the pattress of the ceiling light. It is don for a more secure fastening to the ceiling, which in comparison t simply attaching the pattress to the plaster i would have to agree (a we have had several fall down). However, I think it's an unattractiv option...are there any better suggestions? Apologies in advance if thi is a very simple question, but as my user id suggests i am really new t diy

-- diynovice

Reply to
diynovice

If there is a conduit box in the ceiling then you can fix directly to that using appropriate machine screws.

If the lights have been wired in Twin & Earth then the are usually (note the use of usually) next to a joist so you can fix to that using long wood screws.

-=Scozia=-

Reply to
-=Scozia=-

If it's a plasterboard ceiling one of the many plasterboard fixings should be ok for most things. If a heavy load - or an older lath and plaster type where the laths are damaged near the fitting - a couple of battens run between the joists above.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup! take the floorboard up in the room above where the light fitting is below, and fix a noggin(piece of wood between the joist.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

diynovice presented the following explanation :

You should not be attempting to fix to the plaster. Normally the fitting will have been wired, such that the cable(s) come through alongside a joist. All you need do is feel for the joist with a long thin screwdriver, then fit the rose so that the screw fixing go into the joist.

Another way (as someone else suggested), is to lift floor boards above the light and fit a flat piece of wood (to spread the weight) into which you can then screw the fixings.

Failing that, you could use toggle bolts - a screw with a bolt in the form of spring out 'wings'.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks for all the replies. Actually i stand corrected by m

father...the question should have been about attaching the ceiling ros via a circular piece of wood he made (the pattress), but it would hav the same answers.

My father is insistant that using this circular piece of wood is a goo way to do it and has been done in the past as a professional solution. have to disagree with him, as adding an extra thickness above the ros looks unprofessional, even if it is painted to match the ceiling! Bu then he loves to add pieces of wood everywhere around the house! H mounted a small fan heater above our bathroom door on a square piece o wood too! I think he doesn't trust plasterboard fittings!

-- diynovice

Reply to
diynovice

It used to be the standard way to fit both ceiling roses and round surface light switches. You could buy them ready made. But died out when flush fittings became the norm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

diynovice submitted this idea :

I would agree with adding the circular bit of wood behind a fitting, but not a normal modern plastic ceiling rose.

Some years ago I installed some wall lights which would have meant the circular metal flange screwed straight onto the wall. To my eyes this looked rather odd and unfinished, so I went chasing round trying to buy some polished wood pattresses.

I was not able to get any so I turned some up, stained and varnished them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It is a very old-fashioned way to do things. A wooden pattress was essential for many old metal and Bakelite fittings. Modern fittings have been designed not to need one.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar