How safe are oil filled radiators when left in an unoccupied house?

Now 2008 was a proper winter... just kept falling lower and low from late Nov thro Dec then Jan. Of course if we are into declining solar minimum's we might be in for a right stinker of a winter eventually a la 1962/63.

Just Marmox'd an understairs larder. You would not think 20mm makes a difference but it does on an uninsulated cavity wall. Just need some window reveal beading and remove the old wooden qtr-round. With the door closed instead of the room being painfully cold it was actually comfortable, should solve the condensation on the outer wall I noticed recently. The freezer that lives in there is sufficient to keep the "larder" at a sensible temperature, whilst the insulation will level out some of the summer solar gain.

Not a heating or summer person myself. Bedrooms at 14oC & 3 Tog duvet is fine, cool enough to get to sleep :-)

Reply to
js.b1

js.b1 wibbled on Friday 18 December 2009 01:46

The Marmox I put under the bedroom flooring is only 10mm but together with the wood that's made a big difference to foot comfort.

Reply to
Tim W

The message

from Owain contains these words:

Agreed, for a whole lot of reasons

  • Poor quality of most domestic fan heaters, especially those with tangential fans
  • Inaccurate thermostats on most doemstic fan heaters -- even those with a "frost" settting
  • Domestic fan heaters aren't really designed for prolonged use -- the elements are usually short-lived and non-replaceable

We've had some of those greenhouse fan-heaters for years.

Reply to
Appin