How's this for DIY special?

Copperclad?

Shortage of Cu in early 70's. BICC brought out a cable consisting of Copper coated Aluminium. All cable sizes had to increase for equivalent current carrying capacity. It was pure Cr4p!. Only to be bettered by AlCuMic...now who can remember that? I've still got some fittings for it!! and imperial Pyro, and wedge pot seals and ...it goes on and on

Reply to
Clive Dive

I think the 'plug top' arose as a need to differentiate it from what was called a 'plug'. The 'plug' being better known these days as a 'socket outlet'.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Mr Fizzion was thinking very hard :

Why would you expect to find technical and trade reference names for items in the OED?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

So that clears that one up then. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

How many on this ng have used the term plug to mean a socket?

As far as I can see, a plug top is just that. It is the cover that can be removed from a 13 Amp plug that allows you to get to the wire ends, fuse and terminals that secure the wires to the plug base.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On or around Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:35:15 +0000 (UTC), Dave mused:

Not me, I can't stand people doing that.

You can't see very far then.

Reply to
Lurch

Can you expand on that please.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If you look at the URL I gave in an earlier post to TLC you'll find that it is still in use for complete plugs. May not be in such common use as it was once, though, but most BOFs like me still use it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On or around Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:23:34 +0000 (UTC), Dave mused:

A plug top is the complete unit, lid, base, pins, fuse holder etc....

I don't need to arse around dragging references from here there and everywhere, it's just the way it is. A plug top is the thing on the end of a piece of flex that plugs into a socket.

I didn't spend years wasting my time at Uni somewhere, I was working, with plug tops. I used to go to the wholesalers and buy a box of plug tops, and fit them. (Only 10 years ago btw, I'm not 'old').

Reply to
Lurch

Very well, but you will be very confused when speaking to electricians, as it means the entire plug.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle