How old is your electricity meter?

Prompted by another thread, I still have a traditional electromechanical one with the spinning disk.

It has a sticker saying "Tested 8/88"

Made by English Electric, which (according to Wikipedia) went defunct in September 1968.

It has been seen regularly by Meter Readers.

Reply to
newshound

In article snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, newshound snipped-for-privacy@stevejqr.plus.com> writes

English Electric was split up. Computer side to ICL Power to GEC. I think some (trains?) went to AEI and aerospace to BAC?

Reply to
bert

My electric meter was replaced at the beginning of 1995 (traditional electro-mechanical with spinning disk made by Landis and GYR) and the gas in 1987.

Reply to
alan_m

Probably almost as old. I had a new one put in when I got storage heating as part of the deal, it has a disc and a couple of winking leds I'm told. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Apparently the meter readers all work for a private company which most if not all the companies pay to do the work. There seem to be two teams, one that circulates around and around and another targeted by appointment. Unfortunately, often they do not communicate so you find one arrives just after the appointment one has been making it a waste of time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A few have extended periods - a very few up to 40 years.

But as they tend to slow down (under-read) with age I'd not rush to complain.

Reply to
Robin

Yes, I wasn't planning to complain. And I shall continue to resist smart metering until I am sure SMETS2 is available and working properly.

I wonder how the missing of the smart meter target will be fudged. That's if anyone even notices, with the political chaos that I fear we are heading for.

Reply to
newshound

Our LCD display meter just passed 10 years. We got a letter - you need a new meter. No WAY am I having a SMETS 1 meter - so we've just ignored the letter. There are more important things.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

We've just had a SMETS2 installed (the outgoing mechanical meter was

1982 vintage) and were told that they're no longer installing SMETS1.

Not exactly an issue-free event with the flexible connector of the gas meter at full stretch and with a sharp bend, and the electric meter still not registered with the energy company or the IHD after four weeks.

Surely the installer shouldn't leave the job until that's working?

Reply to
Andy Burns

'It can take a few hours'...

with my SMETS1, he put the electric meter into "pairing mode" then entered a code into the IHD and they were linked and working.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some even go backwards when solar panels are exporting to the grid just like a battery of absolute efficiency with infinite capacity but free and takes up no space.

So I've heard...

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk