How much (roughly) for a rewire

Hi,

Just heard my mum's 3 bedroom semi is likely to need rewiring. ANyone able to give me an idea as to the cost of having this done and the time it would take?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Nobody

I think it would help to give much more info: area of the country, type of construction (eg solid concrete floors or suspended timber or what?), whether electric cooker or electric shower or both needed, etc. Then someone much more knowledgeable than me (not difficult!) should be along to give you advice.

Reply to
rrh

Yorkshire area - late 50s semi, suspended ceiling. No electric cooker or shower. Wooden floors, with void underneath ground level.

Reply to
Nobody

£1700

3 days max

Reply to
Phil L

I recently had a v.small 3 bed terraced house in S.London done for =A32000 + VAT which I thought was a very reasonable price.

Reply to
atticus
[snip]

Many thanks all.

Best regards.

Reply to
Nobody

I recently had a v.small 3 bed terraced house in S.London done for £2000 + VAT which I thought was a very reasonable price.

How many sockets did you get in each room for that ?

Reply to
the_constructor

Mine was ~=A32000 for a 1930's 3 bed semi in N. Wales. That included extra sockets, new CU and smoke alarms.

Reply to
DrLargePants

Was this as part of a bigger overhaul which had replastering doen separately? If not, did the £2000 include cutting out old buried cable and making good over the new - for example, for light switches - please? (I'm thinking of tackling the lighting circuits in a small 1890s terrace - despite the perils of Part P - but fear the plastering as I know swathes will come down.)

-- Robin

Reply to
Robin

Included 3 or 4 sockets in each room and about 10 in kitchen (total about 30) and about 12 new lights/switches. Plus fan in bathroom, 1 exterior light and 1 in loft) Old cables dug out and new ones chased in and rough mix plastered (not including finished plastering). The electricians I spoke to were unwilling to commit to making good with final plaster coat. Partly because not their skill, partly beacuse of unknown state of existing plaster.

Reply to
atticus

What planet do you live on??

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

He asked for a rough price, he lives in Yorkshire, he has a 3 bed semi, this is approx what he will pay with minimal sockets and conventional lights/fittings, if he wants dozens of extra sockets and all kinds of fancy lights etc, he can pay a lot more...he's obviously going to get someone out of the paper - if he wants Manweb to do it he'll need another mortgage.

Reply to
Phil L

In an occupied house, all sockets etc flush and cabling concealed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He didn't specify any of those, he did say it was his mum's house, but I assume it's original (1950's) cables and so it needs rewiring...obviously if he want's everything burying, plastering done and a load of extras, he ain't gonna do it for 1700, but a bog standard, cables in surface trunking jobby can easily be done for this...De Large Pants above paid less than 2k and that included smoke alarms - lets be honest about this - there's less than £500 worth of materials in the job, and if a spark couldn't do it in 3 days on his own, he needs to go back to school, this leaves £400 per day, although obvioulsy all this isn't wages, he'll have to pay tax etc

Reply to
Phil L

To me that's not a 'bog standard' job but a botch. I'm willing to bet the OP expects the cabling etc to be concealed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just to clarify, I had all the wiring chased into the plaster and recessed chrome sockets and switches. The electricians didn't make good though, but I had plasterers in at the same time so it made no odds. House was unoccupied at the time.

Was about the only thing in this refurb that was good value and went well, but thats another story!

Reply to
DrLargePants

Makes a big difference having an empty house and not effectively paying for making good and re-decoration.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe he does, maybe he's a plasterer and he could do it himself, he asked for a rough estimate, and that's what he got...obviously there's no upper limit - he could pay 8 or 9 grand if he lived in London, but if people are sensible and have a good look around and get as many prices as possible, £1700 is do-able...a friend of mine had his done (unnocupied) for £1600 about 2 months ago, part P, NECEIC chappy.

Reply to
Phil L

I was quoted £2200 for a three-bed ex-council house semi in 2004.

MM

Reply to
MM

Forgot to say that it was in High Wycombe, Bucks.

MM

Reply to
MM