How many 2.5mm T&E into a 13A socket?

My mum used one of those when I was a kid - plugged into a 2-way BC adapter in a light fitting.

It was only when we acquired an electric fire in the mid 50's that we had a (single!) power point fitted.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You will never be an electrician.

You see that socket you have fitted - it's level and it is in line with the existing socket;-)

I am pleased you took the hint from myself and Dave Liquorice about a simple continuity test to find the spur.

A nice job IMHO.

Reply to
ARW

That can happen by accident!

Reply to
Adam Funk

Right.

;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Well, at least it would end up in a circuit with a 5 to 6 A fuse/breaker.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Hopefully...

Presumably there was also a length of green wire attached, with a crocodile clip to apply to the water pipe?

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

En el artículo , Adam Funk escribió:

From a fusebox with an on/off lever and two ceramic fuses...

_fusebox.cs4

Wish I'd bought that iron now. The car boot's on today, might go see if it's still there. Seller was a regular IIRC.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Frank Erskine escribió:

:-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Eek! I've never seen one of those until now.

Are you going to open a Museum of Electrical Dodginess?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Isn't it better if the rod goes all the way to a piece of bedrock?

yes

Reply to
Adam Funk

En el artículo , Adam Funk escribió:

No, but it was such a uniquely British thing, somehow. Images of that period frequently feature a woman doing the ironing with the iron plugged into the light socket via a double adapter.

This pic's at the Science Museum website:

actually looks identical to the one I saw at the car boot, except that one was pink.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That's how my mum's iron was powered when I was young!

Prior to that (before I was born, I think) she used a flat iron which had to be heated up on a coal-fired range.

Reply to
Roger Mills

My Great Aunt, who lived in a house that had no electricity until the 1970s had a number of flat irons that were heated on the range. She also had a gas iron that was attached to the town gas supply via a long metal armoured hose. It was one of the scariest looking appliances I can recall.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On Sunday 14 April 2013 06:21 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That pad's probably asbestos too :->>

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Sunday 14 April 2013 10:38 Steve Firth wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I remember a gas poker with a similar hose. Always thought it was a rather nice device.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Tim Watts writes

Ideal for the two hole syrup tin experiment:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Now that you mention it, I think I have an old book about DIY & other household "stuff" with a line drawing of such a set-up.

Well, at least the pad's not a fire hazard.

Reply to
Adam Funk