How long can you keep a boiler going for?

What sort of boiler costs 3k? Gold plated? My 30 kW system Viesmann was just over 1k. Took me a couple of days to fit it. If anyone is charging

1000 quid a day labour, find a better installer.

But I gather from comments in this group that the new generation of boilers don't last too long and another new one would be needed at 10 years. So am I really saving?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They're not actually as different as you might think. Main differences likely to be flame moduation and sensors to make sure the burn is efficient. Rather like a modern car. But most decent modern boilers will have on board diagnostics too. Once you go for microprocessor control, such things become easier.

In terms of breakdowns my old Potterton Kingfisher was far worse than my modern boiler. Although generally just the thermocouple. Easy enough DIY fix - but would have been costly to get a man in each time. It also started leaking and required a re-build with new O rings between the heat exchanger sections.

But because my house is old and large, my gas usage is above average. So made more sense for me to update.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My present boiler, installed in 1989, uses a conventional flue, up a lined chimney. To replace this with modern boiler would likely mean remodelling the kitchen to fit it on an outside wall and rerouting a lot of pipework. That's why I will keep it until dies though lack of spares.

Reply to
charles