Homebase

Just popped into our local Homebase for a couple of run of the mill things. There does seem a lot more useful stuff around and less fluffy cushions (a lthough there are still some around). There seems a lot of tools branded Cr aftright and I wonder if these are the in house brand for the new owners. L ots of shelves and racks being emptied and cardboard boxes about as if a lo t of stuff is being changed. Other than that things were as usual, two peop le dealing with one customer, a line of waiting customers (yes there were p eople in there buying things not the usual desert) and no one would think o f opening another till!

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 13:45:35 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote: Other than that things were as usual, two people dealing with one customer, a line of waiting customers (yes there were people in there buying things not the usual desert) and no one would think of opening another till!

Like the Sainsbury's next door - I get them to deliver to me. No queueing at all.

Reply to
Simon Mason

I've just been learning about how Aldi handle this. At the start of the day, a number of employees are given a 'queue number' from 1 to (number of tills). If it gets busy, employee on existing till pushes a button and it pages the next on the list, who has to stop what they're doing and hotfoot it for their till.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Looks like the Bunnings influence working?

Reply to
David Lang

I think Lidl must have some sort of automated system - which doesn't work very well! On a number of occasions, I've heard a message like "Please use Till No. 4" - and then, what seems like 30 seconds later, "Till No. 4 is closing, please use one of the other tills"!

Reply to
Roger Mills

The illuminated till numbers at my local Lidl are good, but I had the impression they are operated by the manager who redirects the staff.

Reply to
newshound

In message , Bob Eager writes

Ah, so that explains why you often see a cardboard box full of, for example, chicken legs warming up nicely, unattended in the aisle.

Reply to
Bill