How good/bad is powerline networking, especislly with more than two devices?

But doesn't mesh mean that client devices will 'roam' transparently, whereas adding wired WiFi access points won't do this (i.e. it's down to the client, or me, to change WiFi connection).

Reply to
Chris Green

I think the powerline units equate to the ports on an old style repeater hub with the mains cable being their stretched out "bus"

Reply to
Andy Burns

To add to that, I think the ports might all look like basic 'hub' (bridging, rather than repeating) ports, via the bus as you said?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Don?t forget the advantage of a single SSID for wireless connection. That?s been a huge boon for us.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Exactly.

Before we had the mesh system we had to have a homeplug Wi-Fi access point in our bedroom to get adequate coverage there. The problem was though that our bedroom is at the front of the house and our phones would always latch on to it whenever we drove into the driveway. We?d find then that when when we passed trough to the back of he house and our main living areas, our phones would hang on like grim death to the bedroom access point despite a much stronger signal from the router in the hall downstairs.

We were always having to manually switch our access from one to the other manually. If got to be a real pain in the arse.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Wouldn't you simply set the SSID and password on all AP's to the same so that clients could / would reconnect to the loudest AP as required (when reconnecting) albeit not the same handover as on a full system?

No user intervention required though or was that what you were talking about above?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Also as current practice moves away from ring mains to radial systems (or at least smaller rings) with perhaps multiple RCBOs you may find that performance becomes limited because the couls in the RCBOs filter the signal...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

They do work across some MCBS. IIRC mine is working across one. Maybe. Not sure

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And stay on the stronger more remote devicees and not reconnect to the nearer ones that have less multipath?

More ridiculous myths

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Basically yes.

What is technically known as a 'bridge'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don?t forget the advantage of a single SSID for clueless idiots..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think of "hubs" as repeaters, not as switches (aka multiport bridges) but it's loose terminology

except the odd-ball dual speed hubs which are a 10Mb hub and a 100Mb hub in a box, with a 2 port switch between them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think the difference is that with mesh the handover is forced/encouraged by the mesh 'routers' whereas otherwise it's down to the client system and they don't, in general, move from WiFi to WiFi very easily.

Reply to
Chris Green

do you think the powerline units have learn/forward/drop capability?

I assumed they just repeated everything they got, onto the wire, in-case something else might want to see it, thought they were dumb? IEEE 1901 doesn't say much on the subject, but does say it uses CSMA/CD i.e. the bad old thin-wire ethernet single collision domain detection.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can have a single SSID without mesh. It's the way I have my two Draytek routers set up, both have the same SSID and password. Clients do move from one to the other without my intervention but not as easily as one would hope.

Reply to
Chris Green

Well yes, but the downside of using the same SSID with multiple access points is that you can?t quickly see which access point your device is pigheadedly sticking with rather than migrating to a stronger one. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+
<snip>

Yes, that was my thought when you said what you did. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Agreed.

Or can be used loosely. ;-)

The first commercial network I installed used an 8 port Thin Ethernet Repeater where there was just bridging between each of the ports. Therefore, any traffic between say a client and server on one port would impact the performance between similar on another [1]. But hey,

10Mbps was a step up from the 1Mbps of the Corvus Omninet (One) system it grew out of. ;-)

Each segment could be manually isolated via a front panel mounted switch. ;-)

Yah.

Cheers, T i m

[1] It was surprising how quickly / well some of the users could detect if I was say running a server backup during office hours. ;-)
Reply to
T i m

DEMPR?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It is essentially thin wire ethernet using the mains instead of coax.

OK as a P to P link but no good as a whole network

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher