How durable are cheap tools?

I have some scrap wood that I need to cut up into short lengths to make wood for the fire.

I am fed up doing this by hand and a jigsaw which I already have doesn't seem the appropriate tool.

I was looking for something cheap and found that B&Q sell a mitre saw for under 30 pounds.

As I'm not interested in the mitre, I will probably be pretty heavy handed with it. Is it likely that this be up to the job or is it going to break after a few cuts?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

SOGA things must be fit for the purpose. Use it and if it breaks take it back for another. If you do all the cutting you need in one day and it lasts will it have been worth the cost? Is the ag of taking stuff back too much?

Reply to
Mogga

Last time I paid >30 quid for any saw, it came with a signature on it in Japanese.

I just don't understand this thing with "cheap" tools. Why do people not only go and buy B&Q rubbish, but they pay so much for it!

You don't need (or want) a mitre saw. They're a fine-toothed saw for accurate(sic) work. For firewood you want a big coarse thing with crosscut teeth on it. A good brand of brushwood-cutting bowsaw will zoom through softwood scrap in no time. And it's les than 30 quid! Try Axminster.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Although I suspect that by Mitre Saw the OP means the circular saw type and that he wants to cut up scrap timber rather than scrap wood.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

I'd be cautious of using any type of circular saw in scrap timber because of hidden nails. Any type of reciprocating or bandsaw would be safer.

Reply to
dom

one of these:

though they have some in the shop for 2x.99

It is actually mostly scrap wood, and not all of it is soft

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Wont be especially accurate or that durable but will certainly cut scrap wood OK.

Just bear in mind that scrap wood might (a) have lead based paint or (b) might have a timber treatment applied - neither of which will make it suitable for the fire.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Tesco do one for £50 also. :-)

George

B&Q sell an 850W reciprocating saw for £29.98

Has to be better than any handsaw for sawing waste wood. I bought one to demolish a rotten old shed.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Thanks