How do I fill this hole?

I just replaced the shaving light in the bathroom above the mirror with a nice MK one. We only had the original one from B&Q fitted by an electrician a month ago but we decided we didn't like the tungsten ones and besides he fitted it in a ridiculous position well above the mirror. The shaving socket didn't work so I took it back to B&Q and got a refund.

Anyway, removing the old light has left a big hole which the electrician made for the cable entry as you can see in the photos:

two holes will be filled by grouting but how do I fill the big hole? Will expanding foam filler work? Is there filler I can put a thin layer over it to get a better cosmetic finish. I know whatever I do its still going to be noticeable.

Please advise!

Reply to
Distorted Vision

I just replaced the shaving light in the bathroom above the mirror with a nice MK one. We only had the original one from B&Q fitted by an electrician a month ago but we decided we didn't like the tungsten ones and besides he fitted it in a ridiculous position well above the mirror. The shaving socket didn't work so I took it back to B&Q and got a refund.

Anyway, removing the old light has left a big hole which the electrician made for the cable entry as you can see in the photos:

two holes will be filled by grouting but how do I fill the big hole? Will expanding foam filler work? Is there filler I can put a thin layer over it to get a better cosmetic finish. I know whatever I do its still going to be noticeable.

Please advise!

Reply to
Distorted Vision

There's no pciture, but if its a hole in plaster/brick/block, then any (commercial) filler will do. Expanding foam isnt a good choice really.

meow2222

Sorry don't know what happened with Imageshack. The hole is at the corner of 4 tiles in the grouting but has chipped the corners of the tiles. Anyway, here is the pic:

I just use Polyfilla but not completely filling it flush to the surface of the tile but once it has dried using grout over it to keep it cosmetically uniform?

Reply to
Distorted Vision

In message , Distorted Vision writes

I can see the picture here OK. Your idea would seem quite adequate.

Reply to
Bill

That's gonna be awkward. I'd avoid foam - inless you are really good wih the stuff I would think there would be too much risk of it appearing out the font of the hole.

I'd maybe look at using wood or similar to be a plug, than using grout to cover the wood.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

It's still going to stick out like a sore thumb regardless of what is used ..The ONLY satisfactory solution is to replace the tiles but I appreciate that might not be possible.

Reply to
fictitious

its still going to be noticeable. so perhaps make it very noticeabole, stick a round mirror tile over it, or one of the original tiles at 45degrees, or a hook...

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

Just grout over it - mix it so it is not too runny. Leave it to go off for a bit and then sponge to an acceptable finish. Chance are you will hardly notice it.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd just gun fill it (using acrylic, not silicone) leaving it just short of proud and then grout over it.

Reply to
teddysnips

You must be kidding? Have you looked at the pic? :-)

Reply to
fictitious

I have.... the holes where the screws were and the vertical slot are only ordinary grout line width - so they will vanish. The corner hole is in light coloured tiles. Once grouted in it will look far less objectionable.

(other than changing the tiles, its about the only thing he can do anyway unless there is something else he can mount over the mess)

Reply to
John Rumm

yes, but I'd just use grout and nothing else. Its a tougher filler than polyfilla.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Okay done:

you look at the photo its kind of obvious why I didn't want to put anything over it. No one even notices it now not even me and I know it's there.

Reply to
Distorted Vision

Neat job, nicely done.

Reply to