How do I charge a battery.....?

I have a spare 12V 50Ah maintenance free battery. Actually, it's off my mobiility scooter. One was ok the other went bad so I replaced them both.

How can I charge it..?

I have been told that I can not use a a car battery charger on it.

Any advice most welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

morgan

Reply to
morgan

No you can't really.

But you can use an 'intelligent' charger like some of the ones that Gunsons make. There are also a couple of other ones available but I can't remember the makers' names now.

Go to

and look in the Battery Chargers & Battery Care section, there are a couple of chargers there which specifically mention maintenance free batteries. They are universal, you can use them on car batteries too.

Reply to
usenet

Yoiu can buy a suitable charger at any model shop. These batteries are extensively used to power electric starters and fuel pumps for model aircraft, as part of the refuelling/starting equipment.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many modern car battery chargers are switchable for no maintence types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Or look for sealed lead acid chargers from maplin

try lj73q or lo8ab

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Reply to
Lawrence

When I last looked Argos had one.

Reply to
BillR

That's correct, it is a sealed lead acid battery and overcharging will damage it. Chargers for sealed batteries are generally expensive if you want short charge times - typically GBP40-GBP150. If you can tolerate much longer charge times (and depending upon the amp/hour rating of the battery) there are some chargers around for about GBP10.

Reply to
Peter Parry

"Maintenance Free" on a car battery isn't the same as a maintenance free traction battery on a scooter. The charge voltage is different, and you'll kill it.

You could use a charger for the tiny sealed lead acids in burglar alarms (and wait a year), you can build / adjust one, or you can buy one - over-priced that they are.

Talk to the battery maker for the correct voltage specs, and read any basic DIY electronics book from Maplin on how to build a suitable circuit. Easiest way is probably to buy a charger from Halfords (using the case, transformer and rectifiers) and make a new or adjust the old regulator.

Andy Dingley

If you look further the Gunsons chargers specifically mention traction (and similar selaed) batteries I think.

Reply to
usenet

Probably a silly question but can't you use the charging system for the scooter?

Reply to
John Armstrong

It bugs me that the ad men call what are low maintence liquid electrolytic types maintenance free just because there are no easily accessible fillers.

I assume the scooter ones are gel types and require a constant voltage charge? My Halfords charger says it is suitable for this, but I've not tried it. It would make sense as aren't many leisure batteries gel types too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Swap it for the one on the scooter temporarily and charge it on that?

David

Reply to
Lobster

For a start,

will tell you more than you want to know about charging, chargers, battery types, what to do, what not to do and why not...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer