How close can tiles be to a burner on a hob?

Hello guys - I'm wondering whether to put a stainless steel panel behind my hob or whether to simply tile it. distance is 7.5 ins (19cm) from the centre of the rear burner(s) to the back wall.

Advice appreciated as to whether the heat is too much for normal ceramic tiles.

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Eusebius

I've got tiles behind my hob...7 1/2 inches exactly from tile to centre of the burner... and have had absolutely no problems other than grease splashes ...Top Tip ...Clean grease off as often as you can remember .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

They were fired at over 1000C.

Reply to
boltmail

I gather from these two posts that I can go ahead and tile. I've heard bad things about cleaning stainless which was option 2. On the other hand people recommend glass. Tiles are cheapest and easiest and hell, they come off if needed.

andy

Reply to
Eusebius

The usual recommendation on most hobs I've fitted is to leave 50mm behind the hob, and I would not expect you to have trouble with metal or ceramic. It would (in the absense of instruction to the contrary) be OK to have wood panelling. However should someone misuse the hob by putting the wrong size pan on it and causing the wood to be scorched this would be enough for a condemn notice on the hob.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I gather from these two posts that I can go ahead and tile. I've heard bad things about cleaning stainless which was option 2. On the other hand people recommend glass. Tiles are cheapest and easiest and hell, they come off if needed.

andy

And stainless shows every splash and is the devil to keep spotless.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On the HOB?

Not the panelling??

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The hob would fail a gas safety inspection. Most people don't get their panelling inspected.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've used old tiles as a shield when soldering pipes. They do sometimes crack - but that's with the blowtorch touching them. Several inches away - no chance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But using the wrong size pan and scorching wood panelling shouldn't be reasons for condemning a hob. The user should be condemned.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Indeed but I don't have the power to condemn people only gas appliances.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You mean YOU condemn hobs in such silly circumstances???

You've gone down a (very tiny) notch in my estimation ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Only if I didn't have the time/right/opportunity to removed the panelling on behalf of the landlord.

I have to defend myself from the combine efforts of the feckless ones aided and abetted by "Blames Direct" who would like to get some money from my insurers or the Landlord...

Usually I'm fairly pragmatic, though.

Reply to
Ed Sirett