How best to market a d-i-y-project and building plot?

I'd welcome some advice on how best to sell our Kingston-on-Thames property.

It is next door to a smelly factory, so planning permission for most things is assured. There's room in the garden for three "town" houses, accessed by a private drive. The existing 6 bed building could be extended and subdivided into two houses or maisonettes, or demolished for flats.

As an aside, in KOT there are no economies of scale in property development. You are expected to give *half* your new build away at a price commensurate with an "affordable rent". Anyone hanging on to land elsewhere in the hope it will appreciate might consider the implications.

Anyway. not big enough for a "developer", this is a property to advertise where the d-i-y crowd hang out.

Which is...where?

Reply to
troysteadman

A local builder might be interested, or failing that, these things usually end up at auctions.

Reply to
Ian Cornish

We're not talking a derelict house. This one will end up at =A3900k with Foxtons is all else fails.

Reply to
troysteadman

Do people still use Foxtons after that undercover TV program?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The first DIY thing is to do is prepare a building plan and actually get planning permission to take the uncertainty from the buyer. The plan can be varied later with near 100% chance of success so long as it's the same size. Specification of interior building details is not necessary, only the appearance, amount of parking, interior layout plan counts.

john2

Reply to
john2

Thanks John. Somebody else has suggested that to me, and it makes a lot of sense. I suppose it is not a DIY job but a local architect job. Someone who knows the Planning Dept, knows the market, and can get the most out of the land.

Presumably it can be done as a "what if"?

"Suppose there were two plots instead of one. That being the case, could we build here, here and here?"

Reply to
troysteadman

You could put in several different planning applications at the same time for the same piece of land though that would be an expensive way to go about it. Usually an over-ambitious plan first, then scale it down and resubmit if refused. You don't need to own the land you are planning on (ie you could be aiming to buy it later). Best have a word with the local planning officer if that is easy (start with the town clerk for advice), to get his opinion on your garden viz a viz the local development plan in the first instance. As you say, it may be very easy in your area, but the neighbours might object when they see the plans if its going to overlook or block their daylight. I have seen self-drawn plans, but only for garages, conservatories and the like. Dwelling plans have always been architect drawn, not sure if that's mandatory.

john2

Reply to
john2