How are jigsaw puzzles mass produced

Mind you, we're currently assuming that both axes are cut in one stamp. This might not be the case for a production line process.

A simple puzzle where corners of each piece meet (ie no joins in the middle of a straight side of another piece) could be manufactured on a conveyor, passing under two rollers - one for cutting the "vertical" joins and one for cutting the "horizontal" joins.

Having said that, I do think that they are most likely to be stamped out. For the reason that joins do often occur in the middle of the sides of other pieces.

Another possible scenario might be a modular press, set up something similar to a printing press. i.e. you have thousands of cutters that correspond to only one side of one piece, and they are mounted on a base plate in a particular configuration for a stamping run.

I've fired off an email to Hasbro's media contact people asking if they've any information or if they can point me towards manufacturers of press machinery. Will see if anything comes back... (Hasbro own Waddingtons now, it seems).

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Here's a laser based system...

Fishter

I haven't even DONE a jigsaw in over 20 years.

The better ones of my youth were 3/16" ply.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lasers leave scorched edges on wood/cardboard. They are used for low production run stuff.

On high runs, dies quickly repay cost of tooling.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Two passes under tow different dies.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pressure is simply not a problem. Any press will do a few tons easy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Found this.

to self: stop fannying about with this and do some work!!!! :-) )

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

If you are doubting that lasers can be used to accurately cut plywood, then you are in for a rethink at some point.

However that may not be what you meant, but I am not certain either way.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

I've a memory of opening some puzzles for the first time as a child, and noticing that quite often there would be a clump or block of pieces still intact as they would have been before cutting, this alone tells you they were stamped, and very likely in both directions at once, as I never found any strips, just blocks.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

wear in the bed. They might take two cutter heads to stamp the same area over the same bed. Inconclusive. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. e.g.

The Natural Philosopher

Interestingly mischievous, but I don't think I'm going to buy it on that proposition alone! Doesn't feel like it hangs with the memories quite right, can't put a finger on why either! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

I doubt that it would be lasers. Waterjets are the cutting tool of choice for shapes like this in wood, and could be used on card I suspect. The water is travelling so fast that it doesn't wet the material.

Reply to
Steve Firth

As others have said cardboard jigsaws puzzles are stamped out. You can actually see this by looking at the pieces the picture side tends to have a slight rounding off on the edge of the cut and the lower edge is pushed down slightly.

However for plywood puzzles they are often cut using a saw and to do this, several puzzles are stacked on top of each other, to minimise the cutting time.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well, it certainly looks like it in

Didn't you look at the link?

That was my first thought, but on looking at an actual puzzle, you see each parallel cut is different, as is each perpendicular one.

phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Not just an assumption as at least in the case of the link you gave shows us.

True, but no one has so far answered my question about the dies are made. In your new scheme the blade has to be not only crinkled to cut the lugs but also wrapped around a roller. The machine shown in your link seems the easiest and cheapest way to mass produc card puzzles. Trouble is, no-one here seems to know how to make the dies.

You mean stamped out in two perpendicular passes? The 1000 piece puzzle we are working on at home has no such "T" joins. All 4 corners of each piece join in cross-road "X" cuts. These could have ben made by the 2-rollers you mention, or by a 2-D die consisting of crossed over blades... as in your link in fact.

For those that don't remeber what puzzle pieces are like, they are very neatly cut with no gaps indicating a thick saw blade, no burns indicating lasers. They are however, crushed down at the edges where a blade has obviously been pressed into the card.

Eek... that sounds harder that the 100 piece puzzle to assmble.

BTW, before anyone complains, it's not really the 1000 pieces claimed on the box, it's 1008 (28x36).

I bet they buy them in from china as bags of pieces, plus a master photo for their badged box.

phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

they could, but I didn't (and still don't) think it a viable mass production technique. Although your link shows a puzzle being cut by laser knife, I suspect that that is being done as a demonstration of what the laser tool can do, rather than a shot of a production process.

phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

AArgh... hasn't anyone realised the question has moved on? It is now as stated above: "What 'puzzles' me now is how is the crossed over cutter die made".

See my post above for comments on the two dies approach.

phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

puzzles are made. See my comments above on the other laser link quoted.

Also note that the question has moved on from 'How are puzzles made?' to 'How are the dies that make the puzzles made?' Spot the difference!!

phil

Reply to
Phil Addison