House prices in the 50's

If you're going off on a "which is the better investment", remember that there are costs for both houses (maintenance, taxes), as well as the obvious stockrelated costs.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

This site calculates the 'real term' values quickly & easily:-

grand in 1962 equates to roughly 28 grand now ( well 2004) in terms of the RPI, and around 62 grand based on the average national wage.

Reply to
airsmoothed

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

A very valid point. You have to think hard about converting a house into cash, and it takes time. With most other investments, all it takes is a phonecall - very tempting I'm sure.

We also seem to be reluctant to sell houses at a loss, and will generally hang on unless forced to sell.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Parents built theirs for £3000 in 1953 Surrey.

Sold last year for a few quid short of half a million.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

About a thousand a year IIRC

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You will not get 12% tax free return off the stock market.

I wish....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| Chris Bacon wrote: | | > Doctor Drivel wrote: | > | >> "John Rumm" wrote... | >>

| >> Over 43 years 12% on average would return £281,000. Which about what the | >> stock market would return. So a good spread of unit trusts would be a | >> better bet than property and no hassle. | > | > | > If you're going off on a "which is the better investment", | > remember that there are costs for both houses (maintenance, | > taxes), as well as the obvious stockrelated costs. | | You will not get 12% tax free return off the stock market.

When you are talking about your home, percentage return is only a small part of the equation. IMO the fact that I have a home to live in rent/mortgage free is much more important.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

A loss? What you mean is what the "value" was six months ago. Or less than what the market is now.

Value is abstract. Cash is reality.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Over 43 years you probably will. Some years bad some brilliant. Every time there has been a drop in the market it always recovers to where the graph was climbing.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

£3,000 in 1953 was hell of lot of money. Then they sent you to a snotty uni too. Surrey? All fits.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You'd be surprised.

"An investment in UK equities of GBP100 at the start of 1900 would, with dividends reinvested, have grown to almost GBP1.5million by the end of 2004, a return of 9.6%p.a"

It is safer to view the high growth periods of the 1980s and 1990s as being an abberations rather than the norm. And even then the annual gain was only reaching 12% or so.

Now sure, you can do significantly better than that, but you'll need excellent judgement, a substantial portion of luck and an ability to keep both going for a protracted period of time.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

You would be very unlikely to get anything close to the full 12% with spread of unit trusts. A good portfolio of directly held shares however ought to do it if you are lucky and reinvest all dividend income.

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

£16,300?

Oh dear, my spreadsheet thinks it is only £261,460 (approx) so where did I go wrong?

Reply to
Roger

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Except that it hasn't, yet.

Reply to
Roger

Roger, you went wrong trying to think. You know it hurts.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He is trying to think again. Never works with him.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You didn't, drivel's maths is obviously on par with his physics...

Reply to
John Rumm

Your inferiority complex is showing again....

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

I meant what I said, although we are also reluctant to sell for less than a recent "value", whatever that was.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Interesting, did Dr. Drivel use "maths", or cheat and use a "spreadsheet"?

Reply to
Chris Bacon