Lenox Heat Pump Problem

In the winter, my Lenox heat pump outside unit shuts off every 3 or 4 days. I have to go outside, take the cover off and press the lil red button and it starts back up. I think some sort of compressor protection gizmo is tripping. It doesnt happen in the summer, only winter.

Any Ideas before I call the contractor and they charge me there usual charge of $700 ?

Reply to
Charles Worth

Nope. That it is not.

Typical.

Yea...call the contractor that you trust, since this isnt a fix for untrained, nor the person without the correct tools to repair. You have been having it serviced by a tech at least one time a year right? If not, you might be about to find out why we suggest to everyone as does the makers, to do this.

Its a high limit switch..the question is, WHY is it tripping? There are several possibilities, and none of them cost $700....or more...if you are actually paying that much, then its not the contractor with the problem

Reply to
CBhvac

I appriciate the reply, I bought the unit new Lenox 8 years ago, inside outside unit/$5000. THe blower went after 6 years (hense the $700) because the little printed circuit board which was part of the blower moter shorted out. engineering marvels.

None of my neighbors get their heat pumps serviced annually, and have had no problems with theirs for 15 years or more.

Kinda feels like extortion to pay that much for a new unit and have to expect to pay for service, parts and more service. Guess you hvac guys got me just where you want me.

Reply to
Charles Worth

Luck.

I'm not a pro, and some of them know I do not always support their positions. In response to your comment, I have the following questions. Do you take your car in for regular oil changes and other service? Do you base the frequency of this service on the recommendation of the manufacturer and dealer? If so then why would you ignore the recommendation of your HVAC manufacturer and dealer for service frequency?

I do not necessarily know the ins and outs of the system, but I know they are mechanical and that there are many little things which can be checked, lubed, and adjusted to ensure that the system not only keeps running, but that it runs efficiently.

Reply to
C G

actually, I change my own oil, replace spark plugs wires and rotor and cap.

I doubt that service would of spotted a part that was going to go bad in the future. There is a slim chance they may have, but i doubt it.

engineering

Reply to
Charles Worth

Not applicable...not at all.

I dont. But, then, you didnt get it serviced in 15 years...no....we dont have you where we want you...you got yourself into that mess.

Reply to
CBhvac

No...thats called a sales tech fuckyou. From day one unless you have a 5 ton unit...period. the motor...unless its a variable speed unit, they got you again.

Pure luck...you are now on year 8....and how long has the unit been acting up?

No..its your choice. It is in the owners manual. It tells you that you will have problems unless you service it. After 8 years, I know what the problem is....it happens to all Lennox units with that stupid switch that they put on them...Lennox is overpriced from the word go, and then, parts are overpriced still....

Now..just to help you out...you have a high head condition. Its caused in this case probably from LACK OF SERVICE...or it could be that you have a clogged air filter. Either way...dont put me in the same boat as some hack that you think wants all your money...

Reply to
CBhvac

The really funny thing is, after i bought this unit, I had regular service from the contractor who sold, installed the new $5000 unit. He came out, cycled it thru the heating and cooling cycles using the thermostat, and then went outside and added oil to the fan motor. When I asked him is that all there was to it, he said yes and i could do it myself, gave me the oil, and I stopped the $90 service on his say so.

Reply to
Charles Worth

Probably not. Continuing with my questions. Since you follow your car manufacturers recommendations for service, why do you ignore your HVAC manufacturer's recommendations? Remember, the service is not really to spot parts that are about to break, it is to extend the life, and maintain the efficiency, of the unit.

Reply to
C G

I have a Lennox Heat Pump that I disconnected and just leave there. I will never recover the initial cost and keeping it running is impossibly expensive too, for what money it's supposed to save.

I went back to electric heat, and fans in the summer. It works fine.

This was a very old model now but the same principle applies. If they're scolding you for not having it maintained, they have to subtract that cost from the advertised heating savings when they sell it to you.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

Again i appriciate the info. I will check the filter and try to find another Lenox repair shop. I know its not fair to lump in honest hvac with the few not so reputable dealers, I just get frustrated.

engineering

message

Reply to
Charles Worth

Ok, Lenox is crap. Can I ask you who you recomend?

engineering

message

Reply to
Charles Worth

Charles Worth posted for all of us....

That's not nice, here CB is trying to help and you are lumping him in with the bad. He stands to make nada, zilch, zero from this. But you gave him aggravation & attitude.

Reply to
Tekkie

engineering

I gave it back, and I didnt need to...but damn..everyone seems to think I am here to make a buck..screw it..

Course..its ok...its typical and expected...just getting old. Thats all..

Reply to
CBhvac

"Charles Worth" wrote in message news:2ipHb.29812$Q% snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...

Lennox is crap in the sense that like Trane..or American Standard, they have you over a barrel with parts, service and the like. I have yet to have a Lennox that failed that you can just run into the local supplier, and buy a board, or that damn propriatary relay without an act of congress, and thats the way it is with them. God help you if its under warranty. Even a Lennox dealer has a hard time getting the part, EVEN if its sitting on the counter in front of him at the supplier. There are two brands that I like...but, the point is, from a consumers standpoint, that no one single brand will be the best, unless it is installed and MAINTAINED correctly. If you are looking at the brand from the standpoint of what is easy to get parts for, then Goodman, the junk that it is, is the easiest. Installed correctly, it will last as long as its going to last..be it 5 years, or 10. Tappan and Amana fall into that same grouping. The new lifetime warranty on the compressor is a marketing tool that will probably soon either be dropped, or will lead them into Chapter

  1. As far as quality out of the box...this is simple. All are garbage until they are installed. Then, the quality of the install will be the saving grace on the unit. Some units are IMO slightly better than others and give better factory support in case of the odd issue that may come up. I like Rheem/Ruud for that, but I wont install them due to a personal preference to continue to try to sell only products made here in North America, by American owned companies. Rheem/Ruud is no longer an American owned company. In the case of a mini split ductless however, the Japanese units shine, and the quality of Mitsubishi is second to none, and they are much higher in cost, it is a case where it is indeed worth it. As far as installs, I am a York dealer. I could have sold and been a dealer for any company, but I prefered to use a product that I trusted, and had full factory support in case of some oddball issue...the side benefit is that they are the worlds largest. ANY product can and will fail. It does not matter what name is on it, or who installed it. The simple facts are that it WILL fail. Knowing that, it makes sense to install it in such a manner that you reduce the likelyhood that the unit will fail due to installer issues. It happens rarely. Really. It also makes sense that the company that intstalls it for you maintains it, and does it in a manner that the units maker recommends for the particular area that it is installed in. If a company is going to take your 00, (again, just seems really high, particularly if you didnt have duct ran) I cant see them not servicing it for you for at least 2 years for free. Thats me...if we install one, you get free service for at least 2 years. I dont agree with ANY of the units warranties. None. The #1 complaint we have heard, from the owner of ANY unit is: But, its under warranty, what do you mean we have to pay to replace it? Anyone thats had a compressor changed out under warranty knows it can be expensive. Just in labor. Most makers only cover labor for the 1st year. it is up to the servicing, or installing company if they are going to cover it for longer. There are a few companies that will pay their dealers for some warranty repairs, why charge the customer double? Cause its all in the money. As a company owner, I see things a bit different, and thus, the reason I seem to bitch and whine so much. I hear it daily. The only things we charge for under warranty ON EQUIPMENT WE SOLD, is for a compressor changeout after the 2nd year.

Look..I dont have all the answers. I started in this trade for several reasons. The main one was that my mother in law got ripped off in CA while I was living there and after being in the service end of auto dealerships for most all my life, I knew it could be done for less, and still make a profit. We come here to this group for a varity of reasons, and when we can, we offer what we can. Some might not agree with what we say. Its ok...I just know that locally we have a reputation for being fair, and also selling some pretty good stuff. We dont make everyone happy, and we dont get every job. If I can prove to one person not all the companies in this area are crooks, then it was all worthwhile...even if we are not getting rich..:)

Sorry about the rambling..but I think it might explain my position better. BTW..I am a homeowner too...I do a few things myself, but being in the trades, I do believe there are times that its best to call someone in to do the work. (hell, here its law in many cases) and I do.

Reply to
CBhvac

engineering

Reply to
Kevin

Get off your knees when you say that...next comment??

Reply to
CBhvac