Hot tub

My neighbour behind me has bought a hot tub in their back garden. It sounds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings. And they leave it running 24/7. When I complained politely, she wasn't aware I could hear it! I could hear it from her street, through/over her house.

Are hot tubs meant to be loud?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

nds like a small engine, or a motor that's lost it's bearings. And they le ave it running 24/7. When I complained politely, she wasn't aware I could hear it! I could hear it from her street, through/over her house.

No, generally it's just the occupants.

Reply to
stvlcnc43

Oh they're loud alright (especially after much alcohol), but that tends to stop at 2am and they bugger off if it rains. The pump runs all bloody night. It reminds me of the noise my pond pump made (quite a large one to power a fountain and a decent waterfall) if the water got too low and it sucked in air. Leaving it running like that for any length of time f***ed the bearings.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

No. From my experience of the Forest of Dean log cabins:

They make virtually no noise when just on the keep-warm cycle. Full power should sound slooshy and gurgly. It should not be loud, otherwise lying in one is no fun.

TBH, they are great once in a while (eg above, on holiday - we went last in winter, and I made a hot gluhwein punch and we sat in it getting mashed.

But I think they would be a bit of a PITA to actually own - the Forestry bloke was around every day testing the water and they did a full drain/refil once a week.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Pooftahs. Rain and slow is the best time to be in one. You're wet and warm. The air is cold. It's a marvellous thing to do.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Why did I think that was where I'd been in Scotland? Must be a similar name.

I have never heard water, just a pump that sounds laboured.

Come to think of it I've heard someone else's a year ago, and there was just a very faint bubbling noise.

The above neighbours are always mashed, or they sound like it anyway.

Don't you just chlorinate it and use a filter?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

The hot tub is a new thing. I was referring to outdoor parties/BBQs etc for the drunken cackling.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Not always loud occupants. My partner's uncle took to a hot tub in the last few months/years of his life - after he was widowed. Seemed to really appreciate it.

Unfortunately he then died in his hot tub - and was not found for a few days. Very, very not loud then.

Reply to
polygonum

They never are in the movies are they? After all its surely just a pump and a heater?? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ah Cavitations, that famous Cliff song that did not win Eurovision.

Often the sound of these things is down to a poor choice of mounting. I have seen them mounted in decking with the pump also attached to part of the decking, the result is a sounding board effect.

Surely unless they are deaf they should be driven mad as well, and who leaves the thing going when its not needed, do they have free electricity? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was wondering why it didn't piss them off. Although when I went round to complain, his wife answered the door. I said "Can I ask what that thing is in your garden that sounds like an engine?" She said "Hot tub". I said "I can hear it at night in my bedroom with the window closed". She said "I'll get him to turn it off at night".

I assume they leave the heater on so they don't have to wait to get it up to temperature. And the heater requires movement of water. You'd think there could be a lower setting for that though, when bubbles aren't needed.

Mind you in the middle of summer, why would you want to heat it? Even lakes are almost swimming pool temperature (last one I measured was 19C)

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Did the hot tub kill him or did he just happen to be in it?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Because hot tubs need to be near body temperature to be nice.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you're surrounded by body temperature water, the heat your body generates cannot escape, and you'd overheat. I'd not call that comfortable.

When swimming, I prefer 15C or less. If just sitting around in a pool, 20C or less. Remember, you can't sweat in water to cool down.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Have you never sat in a waterfall and enjoyed it?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Oh do bugger off Wodney.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No-one knows if it contributed or not. Circumstances made an inquest necessary but given his age, his health record (he was hypothyroid and almost certainly under-medicated), etc., it really wasn't a completely unexpected death.

Reply to
polygonum

An inquest into who? The manufacturer, incase the jets magically started sucking instead of blowing and took him under the surface? A relative pushing him under?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Inquests are held into deaths not products.

"An inquest is a legal investigation to establish the circumstances surrounding a person?s death, including how, when and why the death occurred.

In some cases, an inquest will also try to establish the deceased person's identity.

The investigation is held in public at a coroner?s court in cases where:

a death was sudden, violent or unnatural a death occurred in prison or police custody the cause of death is still unknown after a post-mortem (where a body is examined after death)

A coroner's court is a legal body that helps determine how, when and why a person died. Coroners are independent judicial officers who are usually lawyers or doctors with appropriate training in law.

Unlike criminal trials, inquests don't try to establish whether anyone was responsible for a person?s death. Evidence is given by witnesses but there's no prosecution or defence.

When an inquest is held, the coroner must inform the deceased person's next of kin or personal representative. "

Reply to
polygonum

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 20:49:21 +0100, polygonum w= rote:

Ah, so just fact finding then. In that case don't they do that with eve= ry death? If not why not?

-- =

A bird in the hand is always greener than the grass under the other guy'= s bushes.

Reply to
James Wilkinson