Honeywell Aquatrol 2000

I recently fitted a Honeywell Aquatrol 2000 CH & DHWS control with temperature sensors for outdoor temperature, boiler, mixed flow, and DHWS and a remote room thermostat / control unit. I am very pleased with the new set-up regarding the control of room and water temperatures but I have some reservations about the "optimizer" function with regard to system start-up.

Firstly the system starts off at whatever time it "thinks" is appropriate to get the house up to temperature in time for the "comfort period". Nice idea but, with noisy pipe work, I don't want it going off too early on chilly morning whilst deep in sleep - I'd prefer to be cooler but refreshed! Anyone know how to re-establish control over boiler start-up time without losing other features?

Secondly it allows only one temperature for the comfort periods and one for the "economy/off" periods. However I would prefer two different "comfort periods" - I don't need the house in the morning at the same temperature as in the evening - for example I prefer 18-19C in the morning but 21-22C in the evening would be much more appropriate (and help to overcome the first problem). The only solution I have at present is to manually turn down the remote unit setting last thing at night and back up early evening. I would like to automate this if possible without paying another arm and a leg for the privilege.

Do any of you gurus have any suggestions for a way to do this? We've already renamed it HAL-9000 in honour of another overbearing machine! Thanks in advance

ChipMonk

Reply to
ChipMonk

What is in the remote unit? Is it just a pair of contacts or is it more integrated into the control system.

If it's just a pair of contacts replace it with a programable thermostat, though that may confuse the optimiser even further.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The remote unit allows the comfort temperature thermostat to be adjusted +/- 3C and the time to be extended by 3hr via a room controller located remotely from the main unit . Honeywell have been less than forthcoming about how it achieves this - quote from one of their techies "The remote unit works on an array of varing voltages and does not operate as you might think. I do not think that you can change its function". (sic)

ChipMonk

Reply to
ChipMonk

Sounds like your stuck with it then. Temperature sensor is probably a thermistor and the +/- 3C is done by switching suitable series/parallel in/out of circuit resistors.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice