Home-made gasket for 2-stroke motor

I've read of gasketless exhausts in the comics where people have uses silicone throughout, and apparently it lasts fairly well.

Reply to
Doki

Blue Hylomar is good its non hardening and will allow the join to be dismantled easily. Red Hermetite is semi-hardening, probably best for something that is under pressure and you don't need to dismantle often, it's a S*%T to remove from alloy mating surfaces Loctite 5926 is a silicone flange sealant probably best suitable for your need. or for this job just grease would work ok.

-
Reply to
Mark

The message from Dave contains these words:

Nah - "figgered" is when you sit down with a cup of tea and a packet of fig rolls to have a good long think about something.

Reply to
Guy King

Figgered is when you spend hours on the loo after eating a whole packet of dried ones.

Apricotted is even better. Never mind Sennapods...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, it's been around a long time. Used by Rolls Royce. It never sets hard.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Thanks for the kind offer, but I am too far away, and I already have some silicone gasket compound.

AL D

Reply to
Al Deveron

Thanks. That might even be the best option, since it would be less likely to block up the 1/8" water channels that pass throught the gasket... I ended up using gasket compound, and am now worried that some of it might have squeezed out and blocked those water channels.

Al D

Reply to
Al Deveron

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

May I interest you in this two pound piece of sultana and date flapjack?

Reply to
Guy King

I figger so.

Al D

Reply to
Al Deveron

BTW, you shouldn't put a question mark on the end of a statement... :-))

Al D

Reply to
Al Deveron

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Made under licence from Rolls Royce, ive still got an old tube that proudly says so.

-
Reply to
Mark

Oops you didn't mention that.

I ended up using gasket compound, and am now worried that

Oops again.....

-
Reply to
Mark

I did, actually. See original post.

Al D

Reply to
Al Deveron

So you did ! In which case I recommend using Wellseal, it's a Non hardening liquid, but is stickier then grease let it soak into the gasket before assembly.

-
Reply to
Mark

Thanks for the tip. Perhps next time; I have already done the job with Golden Hermatite for now; probably not ideal, but hopefully satisfactory. I dare say it will render the gasket unusable next time I separate it.

Al D

Reply to
Al Deveron