Hob (pan supports)

Need to buy a new gas hob. Any thoughts on enameled steel - v - cast iron pan supports in the long term?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

enamel chips.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

With respects, do you know how to put a space between the OP and your reply? I had to look twice to see your "enamel chips".

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Newsreader problem I think. Looks fine with my reader, which is odd actually as mine (Newstap) frequently appends replies to the previous quoted text, but not on this occasion.

All Bill Wright's replies get mushed up like this for some reason.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

All the commercial gas hobs/tops that I have seen have had cast iron and they need to stand up to considerable abuse. Our domestic gas on glass unit has them and they look quite reasonable as well as wearing well.

Reply to
rbel

Cast iron got a slagging off in the following thread last year due to the inclusions of impurities making it brittle.

So don't drop it!

Reply to
Part Timer

Cast iron ones are pretty much indestructible. (apart from being dropped). Corrosion/erosion is virually zerol.

Reply to
harry

When I was looking for hobs a few years back I was more concerned with the thinness/flexing of the stainless steel and the quality of the controls. Some of the "leading" brands seemed to be constructed of baco-foil and in many of the display models in the sheds often the knobs on the controls were broken possibly indicating they would last long in the kitchen.

In the end I went for a very solid DeLonghi branded hob with cast iron supports and have had no trouble with it. It was one of the few hobs where the top didn't flex plus it was around a third of the price of some of the better known brands.

Make sure that the controls are correct for where you are going to fit the hob. If the hob is going to be fitted close to a wall you don't want the controls on that side as you will have to reach over the burners to turn them off!

Reply to
alan

alan wrote in news:51a51fd8$0$23476$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

Thanks - do you need to do anything special to preserve the black appearance of the pan supports? Do they go a bit grey?

Reply to
DerbyBorn