Hiosting stuff into loft

In a couple of months shall be downsizing from a 4-bedroom house to a small bungalow. I shall be flooring the loft which will be esential for storage.

The existing loft ladder is a flimsy affair. I intend to replace it with a cascading section staircase such as a Ramsey.

At first I will need to get a substantial number of floor-boards (600 x

2400 x 18mm) up there. My original plan was to lay them one at a time on the "staircase" and gradually push them up until they tip into the loft.

What would make it easier woud be if I could install a pair of pulleys with ratchets, so that I could haul up each bpard without fearing to let go.

I have seen what looks like something almost suitable on Amazon.

"(2) Pack 1/8 inch Rope Pulley Ratchet Hangers, Convenient Adjustable Reinforced Metal Internal Gears, 6.5-ft Long & 105lbs Weight Grow Light Hangers"

The problem is that at 6.5ft the cord is too short if the mounting point is some way away.

Am I approaching the problem in too simpolistic a way?

TIA

Reply to
pinnerite

Why not fix a pulley to a rafter, make a suitable sling/carrier and attach it to a rope, temporarily install a pal/child/wife in the loft, and just haul things up for the aforementioned pal/etcetera to unload?

Reply to
nothanks

pinnerite expressed precisely :

I had a similar issue, a workshop in my loft, accessed via a normal loft hatch. I fixed a simple pulley to a rafter, reinforced to the two adjacent to it, able to take an 8mm rope. I raise and lower on it regularly and much more weight than you are proposing. A ratchet is not necessary, but one of those metal brackets fixed to something substantial, where the rope can be wound in a figure of eight might be useful if a pause might be necessary, in raising or lowering and awkward item.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com was thinking very hard :

I find a robust 10 gallon plastic bucket (old chemical container), with a metal handle works well.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I use an electric one.....much better...go to 2.31 to see it

Jim GM4DHJ ...

I use large garden waste bags such as these

Chris Hogg

When we were house hunting one we viewed had an electric hoist with remote control mounted to the rafters above the loft hatch.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Demonstrating the very worst type of amateur video making. Simple rules

1/ Use a bloody tripod 2/ No zoomimg 3/ No panning 4/No hosepiping.

All these 'rules' can of course be broken if you know what you are about. An whats with all these phone clips in portrait mode?

Reply to
fred

That may solve part of the problem. I need to discover what weight they can handle. Thamk you for that.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

Pick-up a used 1m3 "builder's bag" from a building site, I think they're rated to 1T (for things like sand, soil and ballast) but will certainly be adequate for your needs. They have 4 handles (and a couple of forklift loops) so would be very easy to put a rope through - and free!

Reply to
nothanks

An what's with all these phone clips in portrait mode?

what?????

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

if you don't want a used one, Screfix sell new ones.

Reply to
charles

Hmm, It might be rather handy, instead assuming you have headroom for it, to put in a simple ratchet winch attached above the opening to aid future storage and retrieval?

One issue I soon found with storing heavy things in the loft was the sagging ceiling syndrome. Books and records are extremely dense and heavy. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Surely quite impossible to get up through the loft hatch though.

Reply to
Chris Green

There is no need for anyone in the loft.

You lay the load underneath the hatch, attach the hook, climb the ladder move the ladder to one side and pull it up yourself.

Again as suggested elsewhere there's no need for a ratchet. Just a cleat screwed to a rafter around which secure the rope in the event of any temporary problem in manouvering the load through the hatch etc .

michael adams

michael adams

errr - they're bags so are flexible

Reply to
nothanks

and on the size of the hatch. I've known some hatches barely 18" square, just big enough to squeeze through, and the one here with a pull-down ladder is 26" x 36".

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Toolsatan do a half-tonne bag. 89263 73x73x70

Reply to
Jim White

Is this roof made of modern trusses or cut timber ?. You need to consider the weight of all that chipboard. I only did the section immediately around the loft hatch with 18mm t&g 2400 by 600 flooring. For the section where the roof line makes standing up impossible I used a load of ex-B&Q mdf display panels on homemade upstands and lateral 47x47mm timber to allow 300mm of insulation. The central section was re-insulated with extruded polystyrene.

Reply to
Andrew