Hinges

Looking for a particular type of hinge, but frustrated because I don't know the proper name.

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above the flap surface, if that makes sense. Hinge fixing surface is horizontal, then bends 90 degrees to vertical, to the pivot, then back down 90 degrees to horizontal again. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Graeme

cranked hinge?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Am 20.05.2019 um 11:08 schrieb Graeme:

cranked hinges?

Reply to
Matthias Czech

Try

Peter Parry

Old hardware catalogues used to have something called iirc bar-top hinges, for the kind of thing Del-boy fell through. The pivot ½" proud though? that would be wierd.

TW

Reply to
TimW

That was my first thought, but unless I'm missing the obvious, a cranked hinge is only cranked on one side.

I've looked through a million web pages and online catalogues. I know I've seen what I want, which makes it even more frustrating. The alternative is to mount ordinary hinges on blocks of wood, to lift them above the flap surface. I have done that before, and it worked, but is a bit ugly.

Reply to
Graeme

When you hang a door with a 'proud pivot' hinge to allow the doors to fold all the way back clearing architraves the arcane name for the hardware is Parliament Hinge. obv they are set into the edges not into the flat surface.

TimW

Offset hinge?

Richard

+1

searching for "counter flap hinges" seems to give a fair few. (But I ran away the only time I was asked to fit them: tapered rebates beyond me.)

Reply to
Robin

In message <qbu01u$uvs$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, Richard snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com.invalid> writes

Almost! That included a double offset hinge. A strap double offset hinge would be perfect.

Graeme

In message <qbtvrb$tk5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, TimW snipped-for-privacy@mysurname.me.uk> writes

Yes. Almost perfect - a Parliament hinge, but with the ends with the screw holes bent 90 degrees.

Reply to
Graeme

Are we talking about an H-Hinge?

TW

Reply to
TimW

Do you mean 'parliament hinges'?

Reply to
Chris Green

In message <qbu3jc$lqj$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, TimW snipped-for-privacy@mysurname.me.uk> writes

I had to Google that! Thanks, but no.

Reply to
Graeme

In message snipped-for-privacy@esprimo.zbmc.eu>, Chris Green snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net writes

Parliament hinges would be fine, IF the 'screw' end were bent out at 90 degrees.

This is a flap, 8 inches wide, 24 long, allowing walk in access to a toy train layout. An ordinary flat hinge would be fine BUT the flap will have track over it, butt jointed at each end of the flap. At the hinge end, the pivot needs to be half an inch above 'base' level otherwise the flap will not rise without the ends of track mashing each other.

I think the simple solution will be ordinary strap hinges mounted on blocks of wood, sufficient to provide clearance.

Reply to
Graeme

Offset hinge? The problem I see is that there are any number of bespoke hinges on already existing devices but if you look for a replacement they are never standard as you buy them, you really need to find out where the original came from but on old gear that is probably not possible any more. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

How about a double ended strap hinge, a vice and a hammer?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It's called a "Bar flap hinge"

harry

Standard bar flap hinge (Del Boy) will not work as the pivot is too close to the flap surface.

Reply to
Graeme

In message <qbuh9e$f7n$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Steve Walker snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> writes

That has crossed my mind, but have reservations concerning my ability to get all four bends (two per hinge) in exactly the right place. That, though, would work perfectly.

Reply to
Graeme