Hinge Dust

Hi all

I have noticed black marks alongside door hinges aligned with the "joints" in between the hinge cylinder barrels IYSWIM. Is this the price paid for using brass hinges? Why are the marks black and not brass coloured?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Can you post a pic somewhere ..like Photobucket etc ?

Reply to
Stuart B

I wonder if it is the same reason that the polishing cloth goes black when you use Brasso - and not yellow.

Reply to
John

It's prolly the price you pay for not putting a drop of oil on them periodically!

Reference the colour, it's some form of brass oxide at a guess. Steel hinges do the same but leave chocolate coloured debris - AKA rust.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Usually too heavy a door on a light hinge. Beef up the hinges or try adding a third one to take the load.

Reply to
EricP

It's the hinge pin that's wearing more than the brass.

Some hinges have steel washers berween the flaps where the two brass halves rub together.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

"Derek Geldard" wrote

Thanks to all

I'll try the lubrication route and see if that helps any. All the doors are light waffy pseudo-panel doors so I can't see the weight being an issue.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

No such thing as "brass oxide".

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc (and trivial amounts of other elements) ; on combined corrosion and abrasion of brass you'd get microscopic particles of copper oxide and zinc oxide. Copper oxide (copper II oxide to be more precise) is essentially black, zinc oxide essentially white but with much poorer opacity than the titanium dioxide you get in paints. Between the two, you basically only see the black.

Reply to
Aidan Karley