Hens Teeth, Unicorns, Rocking Horse Droppings, Braided 3 core cable for an iron.

You might get it for free by asking for a dead iron on freecycle/freegle/etc

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The cheap rubber they use needs a cover to stop it abrading. Silicon rubber doesn't.

Reply to
invalid

Silicon is really hard. And strong. And inflexible.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Silicone (sic) rubber is not soft and flexible enough for an iron lead, at least if it is thick enough to resist abrasion.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Use butyl, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bollox. I have used silcone coated flex up to 50A in model planes and its more flexible than PVC OR rubber.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
<snip>

Except you have probably used single core and very muti-stranded and specifically flexible *single* cables that are single insulated and therefore mostly flexible because of that (so irrelevant to a 3 core cable).

Bind three of your single cores together and then put them in another sheath and whilst you might still be more flexible than the same when PVC (certainly) or rubber (possibly) sheathed, the chances are that it would still be easier to slice though the outer sheath and inner conductor insulation than with the other two and especially if it wasn't in a fabric cover.

I have 2.5mm^2 extension leads in PVC (Arctic) and rubber and the rubber is way more flexible, especially in the cold. Both are reasonably resistant to abrasion. I have sliced the insulation through on silicone insulated cables simply by pulling them past a sharp object (in the way rubber or PVC wouldn't).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

True. But it is not as flexible as very thin rubber with a fabric cover.

Reply to
Roger Hayter
<snip>

Or when made up into a multicore (3) cable.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not a lot in it. Silicone cable is VERY flexible. More than rubber for similar sizes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1. Some folk are saying odd & senseless things. The problem with silicone is it's too flexible, so much so that it's easy to cut it in normal use. And the cost.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr