Drill hole in tiled MDF

I have a concealed cistern behind MDF, which has been tiled.

I am fitting a new flush valve in place of the old syphon. It's mostly done, but I need to recess the button. That needs a 40mm hole through the tiles and MDF, in place of the existing rather ragged 30-35mm hole.

What's the best way of doing that? 40mm drill will tend to wander. I have a 1/2" belt sander, but that'll take ages. Any suggestions please?

Reply to
GB

Do you mean you are trying to enlarge the ragged hole, or are you starting again with a new tile.

Reply to
newshound

These willl take down tiles as well as MDF (wear a mask)

Or

Permagrit tools are ruddy brilliant actually

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've ordered one of these:

For under £2 it's worth a go. As long as it does this one hole, that's good enough.

Apparently, the technique to use is either to make a 40mm hole in some timber to use as a guide, or to start the drill at an angle, to make a groove to hold it in place.

Reply to
GB

WOW!

I was looking for that...yes that is way better.

Agree with both techniques .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you have any of the original tiles left? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Probably. Hopefully, I won't need to search. :)

Reply to
GB

Fix a bit of wood across the existing hole so you have a centre. Just glue it to the back of the MDF with No More Nails etc.

Mark the centre and drill your new hole with a diamond core drill.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Just watch that the mdf doesn't burn as it will get hot tying to drill it with that.

A rotary tool and a drum sander might be better after you reach the mdf.

Reply to
invalid

Useful link, not come across permagrit. I was going to say that for enlarging a ragged hole I'd probably use an abrasive tool in a Dremel or similar, noting that the cheap ones that typically come with them are often single use.

Reply to
newshound

That seems too good to be true to me. I've tried a few cheap diamond tools (e.g. Dremel sized cutting disks) and usually been disappointed.

Reply to
newshound

Make a nice wooden trim etc to cover the hole edges?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

it might have a single piece of microscopic diamond grit on it. If you're lucky it hasn't fallen off already. Use the TCT version, diamond is pointless at best.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Decent diamond-coated tools are not cheap, and work well provided you don't push them too much and get them too hot. TCT is ok for most things, but will be at its limit with vitrified porcelain tiles (I don't think that the OP has stated what the tile material is).

Jeff Layman

I have had great sucess with cheap diamind coated tools. They work excelllently for half a dozen holes, then the diamond wears off and thats it.

But that is all you normally need.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

TCT is cheaper, just as effective unless you're drilling something of very exceptional hardness, and lasts

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr