Help with rounddown excel formula

Your "methods" at work again perchance?

Reply to
Jimk

I have this formula =(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77 the answer is 0.758

I want to use rounddown (I think) so that the answer is 0.75

I tried formatting the cell to 2 x decimal points but that takes it to 0.76

Anyone?

Reply to
ss

You could truncate the number using Excel's TRUNC fucntion.

Reply to
Pamela

I think you just want =ROUNDDOWN((K10+L10-O10)*$P$77, 2)

works in LibreOffice anyway and seems to be as defined for excel

Reply to
Andy Burns

Don't forget

salami += answer - rounded_down_answer;

Reply to
Andy Burns

That comes up with error message "too few arguments"

Reply to
ss

When I use. (K10+L10-O10)*$P$77+TRUNC(0.758,2) It returns 1.508

Reply to
ss

I think that?s because you?ve not only calculated your answer, but then added on the truncated form of 0.758. (0.758 + 0.75 = 1.508)

At a guess I would expect something more like =TRUNC((K10+L10-O10)*$P$77),2. (To be honest , I don?t do excel any more and the last 2 might be meant to be inside he last bracket).

I?m no expert but I can?t see why you?ve typed in the answer (0.758) that your sheet should be calculating.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Eliminate refs to cells we can't see. Paste in a cell

=ROUNDDOWN(0.199,2)

and report the result.

Reply to
Robin

TRUNC((K10+L10-O10)*$P$77,2) that worked

Thats what it was calculating

ok so that rounded .758 to .75, which unfortunately didnt solve my problem. It has to do with my gas bill/statement, it is 1p out. All my figures on spreadsheet match the statement figures but for some reason excel is adding an extra 1p and I am damned if I can find it.

See attached, I`ll get it eventually, if I auto sum the 3 figures concerned in a separate cell it gives me the £15.90 (correct answer) but in the spreadshhet it returns £15.91 (the CV figure is correct) I just cant work out where it is picking up the extra 1p.

ss

Maybe at the other end they are calculating to more significant figures than they are presenting in your bill. In which case "your" calculation might well be out by 1p.

Reply to
newshound

If you've formatted all your cells to 2 decimal places, then sum those cells, the answer will include the extra decimal places you've hidden

Reply to
Andy Burns

A penny? And I thought it was for something important. ;-)

Life is way too short to worry about stuff like that.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The penny is not important but getting the spreadsheet to work properly is or more to the point understanding why it doesnt. :-)

Reply to
ss

I dont quite understand your reply.

Reply to
ss

Perhaps you typed a dot instead of the comma. You will have to give more details about your spreadsheet if you expect others to help you.

Are the three figures on the right of your screenshot of the sheet typed in, or are they calculated from elsewhere? Assumed column letters don't tie up with your posted formula. What is in cell $P$77? If it makes 0.758 from 15.90 it must be 0.0047672955

£2.86+£12.29 = £15.15. VAT at 5% = £0.7575, not £0.75 as shown. Strange it's not given 3 decimal places like all the other VAT figures. Perhaps you calculate VAT at 5% rather than take what your bill says? If so it would round up to an extra penny.
Reply to
Dave W

ok the problem is that they are calculating the results from multiplying the number of kWh by the price each, then the number of days times the standing charge per day. Then working out the VAT and adding it all up.

However they are also formatting the output at each stage to a currency

- which means the figures they show (and the ones you are using in your sheet) are not accurate representations of the intermediate values. So each time you take a result figure from the bill you are including a small rounding error into your source data. Once you add them all together you get a different bottom line.

If I recreate a bit of the calc, but do the sum in they way they do I get:

Item Qty Price Total

Gas 409 3.004 12.28636 SC 30 0.0952 2.856 VAT @ 5% 0.757118 Total 15.899478 Formatted £15.90

If however you add 12.29 + 2.86 + 0.76, you will get 15.91

Reply to
John Rumm

HMRC allows supplier to calculate, round and then total the VAT per line of an invoice, rather than calculate the net total, and then add VAT and round it.

eg. you might have calc VAT separately on standing charge and the energy supplied.

Reply to
Andy Burns