Help with hob extractor fan?

Extractor fan suddenly stopped working the other day. One minute it was sucking away fine, the next, just making an electrical hum and not doing anything. Took it apart today for a look. Didn't come away any the wiser! Nothing looks damaged or burnt out. Current is flowing correctly when it is off completely, to when just the lights are on, to when the fan should be on.

All I get is a big electric hum though, kinda like a barber's clippers! Anything I can do? There's a big fuse inside it - surely there would be no noise at all from the motor if this had gone though? I'm really hoping I'm not going to have to bin it, as it will destroy the wall behind and the tiles surrounding to get it down!!

al

I used to get a similar crisis with my Vent Axia. It was caused by the solenoid on the baffle control. Is yours a baffled unit ?

Pete

Peter Stockdale

Not sure what you mean by a baffled unit? Can you explain?

al

A venetian blind type "grill " that opens/closes when the fan as activated. Pete

Reply to
Peter Stockdale

In that case no! It's a chimney, vented to the outside. The bottom grille is a large rectangular sheet with filter paper behind it. Then there's the motor unit and fans to scoop the air up the chimney.

al

I used to get that if the grill (properly known as the "shutter") siezed up on account of chip fat agglomeration.

Had to take it down and soak it in dertegent.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

That's what I was thinking it might be as it's all very gunky up there! However, what is there that you can soak in water? The motor unit is all one bulky part and obviously wouldn't take kindly to getting wet!

Also, did yours stop suddenly or slow down over time and then seize?

al

Could be the start/run capacitor to the motor (if one is fitted)

Reply to
gffftftfuyguyt

It was a Vent Axia. The cover with the movable shutter parts was inside the room and just clipped on and off. OTOH Our bathroom fan had a shutter between the motor and the outside grill.

It got that the fan motor would start and run but the shutter would be hesitant to open making a buzzing noise till it snapped open, eventually taking longer and longer...

DG

Reply to
Derek ^