Help!! Outside tap emergency!! Please help!

My husband is away and I was watering the garden with the hose just now. When I went to turn off the outside tap that the hose is attached to, the handle fell off the tap and has fallen down the drain where I cannot get at it! How can I turn the tap off?! Many thanks Jannette

Reply to
Jannette

Use a pair of pliers/spanner/molegrips to grip the top of the tap and turn it of.

Reply to
Mike Taylor

And an outside tap usually has an isolator valve on the inside.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Often, there's a tap inside which will turn it off too, probably near where the pipe goes out through the wall.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You don't want to be making public statements on newsgroups about your husband being away!

Go to

and do a search for your home town + plumber (or handyman). You will be stiffed with a call out fee, but a job like this shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to sort out.

As someone else mentioned, there is often an inside tap (under the sink?) for isolating the outside tap. Very necessary for the winter months when the temperature plunges below zero.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

What sort of drain? They all have a trap the handle will be in it. Unless this drain is using a roadside type gully then just stick your arm down the 18" or so to the bottom and fish it out, along with a load of gunge but that won't harm you.

If you can't physically turn the tap off with pliers, spanner WHY. Bend the hose onto itself so that it kinks and stops the flow, tie the bend together witha bit of string or tape. Perhaps put two kinks in just in case one fails.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice