Help needed with plans and steel

On Sunday, June 5th, 1944 at 12:00:26 PM UTC+1 Bernard Lovell wrote:
I have an idea for a really big wireless aerial. I want to listen in to outer space, to find out what sort of programmes they have. I'm a bit fed up with Luxembourg and as for the Light Programme... Anyway, my aerial will be sort of dish shaped, and really really big. I'm trying to draw up some plans to send to the council. I'll have to get planning permission; this aerial is going to be big, really really big like I said so there's a good chance some little council oik will pedal past on his bike and spot it, and tell his boss. Does anyone know how to draw a parabola? At least I think that's what it's called. It's like a big curve; not part of a circle though, it's different to that somehow. I've been messing around with a pencil and a loop of string and two drawing pins but I can't seem to get it right. I think part of the problem is that I can't get one of the drawing pins far enough away. That one has to represent the stars, you see, so it has to be a long way off. I had it stuck in the banister outside my bedroom door but the landlady went mad. Another thing, looking ahead, does anyone know a cheap source of curved railway track, steel girders, big electric motors, and chicken wire?
Bernard Lovell
Bill Wright wrote:

June 5th was a Monday in 1944, and wasn't it UTC+2 during the war?
Raised a smile though ..
On 31/10/2017 11:02, Andy Burns wrote:

You can't expect a scientist to worry about small details like that! I expect he'd been up all night trying to draw a parabola and didn't realise it was Monday.
Bill
On 31/10/17 10:48, Bill Wright wrote:

You want a parabola.
construct a male mould with a pivot in the middle, a parabolic template and plaster of paris of indeed concrete
cover with candle wax or clingfilm, and then lay up a layer of gel coat, followed by a layer of chuckenen wire, followed by several layers of chopped strand mat
fix in support structure as you lay up

Easier than that, just a loop of string around two points an infinite distance apart.
On 31/10/2017 12:01, newshound wrote:

Oh bugger, didn't read the OP properly, sorry!
On 31/10/2017 12:02, newshound wrote:

It seems to me these very old posts (that have presumably been sitting on a server for ages) cause a lot of confusion.
Incidentally I did once speak to Bernard Lovell, and I got a nod back. There was a religio-maniac heckling him and as he left I said to him, 'Bloody nutters!' I'd be about sixteen.
Bill
replying to Bill Wright, Iggy wrote: Not that space is real or anything but a lie/buggered/bollocks, but I hope you're kidding/having a laugh/barmy. As well, the aerial or half bracelet would need to be adjustable, for focusing. And, in case you don't know, radio signals die almost immediately just from distance...they die quickest in the nothingness-space we've been sold.
On 31/10/2017 13:14, Iggy wrote:

Is this a HomeOwnersHub record for old posts?
--
Max Demian

replying to Max Demian, Iggy wrote: Oh no, this is a new one, silly boy. But, there's lots more and I've been meaning to get to them...maybe I'll start tonight. Don't worry, many are answered and I don't know everything. Plus, I run along pretty quick, so it won't last long.
On Tuesday, 31 October 2017 10:48:05 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

Your local Network Rail depot will have most of that, except possibly the chicken wire.
But wouldn't it be easier to just buy a dish from someone near Heathrow Airport?
Owain
On 31/10/2017 17:22, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

In the 1940s? No, in them days we had to make do and mend.
Bill
On 31/10/2017 10:48, Bill Wright wrote:

Beware! Your may find that your foundations will eat up your funds at a great rate, as you may have to dig far deeper than expected to find ground firm enough to support your structure.
On the upside, if you're quick, you'll save a fortune on the large gear-wheels needed to tilt your dish if you nip down to the breakers, as they've got an old battleship in and the turret training rings will be ideal.
SteveW

Thank you
Bernard