Help needed with maths (urgent)

Guys, I'm really hopeless at maths. I have a problem. A rather nasty crime has been committed and we have CCTV of a possible perpetrator, but much depends on timings. We've taken pains to get accurate times for the two best CCTV images but unfortunately one is only stated to the minute. Taking that timing at the midpoint of that minute the elapsed time between the two images is 2 minutes and 8 seconds. Obviously that figure has ±30 secs uncertainty. The distance between the two image locations is exactly 350 metres. I need to know: (a) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to travel 350m was 2mins 8secs minus 30 secs? (b) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to travel 350m was 2mins 8secs plus 30 secs? (c) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to travel 350m was exactly 2mins 8secs? We know the maximum speed of his (rather unusual) mode of transport; what we're trying to figure is whether he would have time to pause and commit his crime halfway along the 350m distance.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Answer in mph please!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Distance is 350 m

Min time 1:38 or 98s

Middle time 2:08 or 128s

Max time 2:38 or 158 s

Max speed: 350/98 = 3.57 m/s

Middle speed. 350 / 128= 2.73m/s

Min speed 350/ 158= 2.16 m/s.

(All to 2 dp)

In miles per hour:

Max 7.99 mph

Middle 6.12 mph

Min 5.96mph

Reply to
Brian

Which presumably corresponds with the limit of a class3 scooter?

Reply to
Andy Burns

<snip>

Easy ... :-)

350 m is 0.2175 miles

2'8" is 128 seconds

Thus speed is 3600/128*0.2175 = 6.12 mph

The other times are 98" and 158" so speeds are 7.99 mph & 4.95 mph

HTH

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

Correct

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Thanks guys. Really helpful. No way could I have worked it out. That info will go to the police.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

There is a small discrepancy between the answers so far...

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yep, finger trouble, my 5.96 mph should be 4.96 mph.

Reply to
Brian

Can I express my ignorance of CCTV. Surely, you just need a stopwatch, whilst watching the video playback?

Reply to
GB

Each frame has the exact time stamped on it. You work on individual frames.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Thank you.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I thought that the frames only have the time in whole minutes, which is causing a problem?

Reply to
GB

Presumably it takes a still at intervals, rather than recording a stream of video?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Okay, then. Are those done at regular intervals, save every 5 seconds?

Reply to
GB

oh right. my cctv is set to record in D1 at 25 fps

Reply to
SH

Systems vary.

Ours detects motion and you set it to record for a period. You can vary the sensitivity, set several zones within the field of view of each camera, set video quality, ?.. Others are as simple as video recorders that run all the time and either need to be erased or auto loop. (Some people may still be using tapes. I remember someone mentioning they?d just replaced a tape based system just before lockdown I think.

Reply to
Brian

No. The problem was caused by a person who didn't realise we needed seconds.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It takes 25 stills per second...

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Then surely, you have the number of seconds taken simply by counting the frames between the two images and dividing by 25?

Reply to
Steve Walker