Fake coal gas fire

*I have a fake coal gas fire, installed some 30 yrs ago. I have cleaned ( de-dusted ) and rearranged the coals a few times. Originally the coals were bedded on what looked like mica flakes *but with each cleaning these reduce in volume. Are these still available and if so where from. Or has technology overtaken me and there is a better/alt. medium available ?
Reply to
Terence