Height for smoke alarm?

A nice fireman installed a smoke alarm for my nephew - a free fire service service. It's on the ceiling in the hall which is 11 feet high. We would like to move it somewhere more accessible. Does it have to be horizontal? Can we mount it on the wall but out of ordinary domestic reach?

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

No, why do you not trust where the fire service put it?

Smoke detectors need to be on the ceiling and not too close to walls or other headers. The relatively warm smoke rises to the ceiling, you want the earliest possible warning of a fire, you don't want to wait until the top 3' of space is smoked logged.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, not with a ceiling 11ft high.

If your issue is batteries or push-to-hush...

- Buy a lithium 9V battery off Ebay (=A36?)

- Buy a piece of round dowel to reach the push-to-hush

Wonder how the H&S data reads re # of alarms fitted, become annoyance, batt= ery removed. I know of 1 fire in the family caused by that - no-one knew un= til extensive smoke damage to the upstairs via the hall from the kitchen, t= hey in another room some distance from the fire.

Some smoke alarm CAN be on a wall, but a) not within the dead air circulati= on space zone formed by the wall/ceiling and b) be within a certain distanc= e of the ceiling so it is in the live air circulation space to give early d= etection.

Distance "b)" will not extend down the wall remotely far enough.

Check brand, model & then manufacturers instructions re positioning :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Fire brigade ones have a 10 year battery I think.

removed. I know of 1 fire in the family caused by that - no-one knew until extensive smoke damage to the upstairs via the hall from the kitchen, they in another room some distance from the fire.

space zone formed by the wall/ceiling and b) be within a certain distance of the ceiling so it is in the live air circulation space to give early detection.

Reply to
mogga

OUT of reach?

Some smoke alarms can be wall mounted, check brand & model, then manufactur= ers instruction.

They can NOT be mounted high on the wall in the dead air circulation space = formed by the junction between wall & ceiling.

They can only be mounted in a narrow band below this dead air circulation s= pace and within a manufacturer given distance further down.

Frankly, on the ceiling is the best position re speed of response. However, if the problem is access to batteries or hush-button a) consider a= Lithium 9V battery or b) getting a piece of dowel cut so reach the hush-bu= tton.

Do wonder how many smoke alarms had batteries removed when fires broke out,= seems to be some number from subjective media reports. If they have a hush=

-button I do not understand why they do not sell a dowel to reach it alongs= ide... no doubt reducing the number that can be fitted in a container :-)

Reply to
js.b1

That is good.

I recall in the 1990s "battery flat" was not an uncommon finding - removed because it beeped in the night and no-one replaced it.

Reply to
js.b1

instruction.

formed by the junction between wall & ceiling.

space and within a manufacturer given distance further down.

Lithium 9V battery or b) getting a piece of dowel cut so reach the hush-button.

seems to be some number from subjective media reports. If they have a hush-button I do not understand why they do not sell a dowel to reach it alongside... no doubt reducing the number that can be fitted in a container :-)

We have one in the hall and one on the landing. If one starts beeping for a flat battery we change it, but if we haven't got a battery in, we remove it. Chances are that the other one will detect any fire that is likely to happen.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

This one is sealed - chuck when the battery is flat. I'll leave it where it is and buy a broomstick.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Possibly earlier than that, On some of the old smoke detectors here you can't shut the cover unless there is a battery in place.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Never underestimate the power of idiots with bluetack.

Reply to
dennis

You would, of course, be an expert on this subject.

Reply to
John Williamson