Heavy water tank

DICEGEORGE

There's an SF story about the Galactic Encyclopedia, which was encoded on steadily denser & denser media until all the Universe's knowledge was in a cube an inch on a side.

Then someone lost it.

Reply to
Huge

David Hahn died a few months ago aged 39. The last photo I saw of him was about ten years ago when he was arrested for stealing smoke detectors (it seems to have been a bit of an obsession). He wasn't looking too good then:

He ended up being hospitalized for bipolar disorder and paranoid schizophrenia.

Reply to
Caecilius

Exactly, it sounds like a standard IBC container

Or you could support it on two wooden bearers. I have a couple of them mounted on a frame made of 6 x 4 which stands on some small stacks of blocks so that the taps are about 2 feet off the ground.

A pair of railway sleepers straight on the ground should be OK. The trouble with slabs is that they may crack if the ground is really soft. Or pressure treated 6x6 fence posts. You might get away with 4x4.

Reply to
newshound

IBC containers of 20 years back were fitted on wooden pallets which rot over time. Things may have moved on for the OP.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thanks to everyone who replied. The tank came with the metal frame and it's supposed to stand on its 4 corners. I think it used to contain some sort of oil as a releasing agent for concrete shuttering. Anyway I'll try just using paving stones to spread the load and see what happens. I might add some wooden bearers too as I'd like to get it a bit higher off the ground to make it easier to get the watering can under it.

I found a bit of info about soil bearing capacity on geotechnicalinfo.com. Does anybody know of anywhere else to get simple info?

Reply to
Kit Jackson

You underestimate the amount of money to be made from selling the lecturers favourite tomes at £150 a pop. For example:

philipuk

Paving stones would need to be well supported to take weight, they aren't really any good at spreading out force - they just crack as they have no reinforcing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The modern ones have a zinc plated steel frame with suitable slots for use with a stacker truck.

Reply to
newshound