Heating one room

Maybe at installation time, but pretty expensive afterwards. If you're paying for labour.

Capital cost are low.

We don't know what boiler the OP has. Older ones can be horribly inefficient when working at a small part of capacity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When my central heating broke, I used a (portable) Calor Gas heater for months. It was very economical and toasty warm and of course it's PAYG.

Reply to
Maria

In article , chris French writes

Agreed, assuming a 1kW rad in a small room even a modulating boiler will be short cycling its arse off every few minutes, warming up the boiler and pipes with all that doing to waste.

It could work nicely with a thermal store system but not everyone has one of those and fewer still have the circuits separated enough to permit this kind of operation.

Reply to
fred

he has a cr@ppy boiler system that doesn't deliver the heat to the destination. I have an (old) low water content system with zones and insulated pipes. my system will heat a single room with no trouble. It doesn't modulate at all and the only time it may waste a small amount of heat is after the room stat has closed the zone valve. It keeps that heat in the insulated pipes and it may be used if a zone valve opens.

Reply to
dennis

My boiler does a sixty nine in any room I ask her to.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Both of which end up as heat. As does the light from the On switch.

They are 100% efficient the same as the oil filled radiator/ radiant heater.

Reply to
dennis

I would look at insulating the room better as well I agree with those that opt for a simple thermostat controlled Ikw electric heater (it will probably be 2 or 3 but with switches to vary) and they can be got for less than =A330 at the right stores I work in such an office Key things are window seals properly draft stripped external walls insulated internal walls if stud insulated in the middle and if not lose an inch put on PU foam plus plasterboard curtain over door snug as a bug in a rug

The moment the sun hits you thru the window it will get HOT.

Chris

Reply to
chris

Calor costs a fortune. Its the most expensive way to heat anything that I can think of. You obviously didn't need much heat and could have used an electric fan heater for less cost.

Reply to
dennis

Since you'll be working at/from home it's not unreasonable to ask you employer to chip in for the extra heating costs. Open the bidding at (say) 5 quid a week and be willing to settle for 2. Also tell them that keeping office equipment on for 40 hours a week will cost you money, and you'd like that back as well, please.

I'd guess that the house is otherwise occupied, so the amount of cool- down during the day shoudn't be that high. You might even be able to get by with just putting on a pullover and keeping the doors closed.

Reply to
root

Going self-employed so that idea's a non-starter I'm afraid :-)

I don't mind sticking on an extra jumper or even two but don't want to end up like the Michelin man. I'll be doing long periods at the desk rather than lots of energetic moving about, so hands and feet were one area of concern. Anyway, been and bought a 2kW thermostatic oil-filled leccy radiator today so I'm now sorted :-) Oh, and for those who were wondering, we've got a condensing combi in the loft.

Reply to
Dave

Thanks John. That's something I may well look into for the longer-term.

Reply to
Dave

You can claim a little bit of tax back though. I can't remember the rules off the top of my head, but every little helps...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

So why do my ears not melt?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

You're still having to use electricity to run the pump and of course all the control circuitry in the boiler.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

They will with enough sound.

Reply to
dennis

Because there is less than a watt of acoustic energy in 120dbA sound pressure which will split your eardrums first.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

closed.

No it's not, "use of home as office" IIRC my accountant puts down =A3150 for that against tax.

There are other things to consider as well, there was a thread that covered quite a few things resonably recently have a google.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cheers Gordon and Dave, nice to know I can get something from the taxman :-)

Reply to
Dave

Don't forget the business rates you may have to pay. Take it in one hand and take it again in the other is their motto.

Reply to
dennis

If you're going self employed, find yourself a good accountant. Ask other people doing the same job as you who they use. He or she will save you far more than they cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)