HDTV

There's never been a TV made with decent internal speakers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Isn't that because most HD streams require a copy-protected path to the display?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Oh..I think there was *one*..once..B&O..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks everyone for your input. The quality of the display on our existing TVs (3 fairly new Panasonics flat screen) is pretty good by my reckoning, and all things considered, I'm not moved to go HD at this time. Need Sky to lose some more customers so they offer an even better inducement that at present!

Reply to
The Wanderer

Plenty have advertised their models as having good sound - but I've yet to hear one which approaches a good moderately priced music centre.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My old Panasonic Prism A1 was pretty damn good, one of the reasons I bought it. Pity it now has PSU problems and is 4:3 but then it was bought in 1985.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It did not. I worked for one of the large rental chains, and many all solid state TV sets were rented for many years after valve ones disappeared. The death knell for the TV rental business came when the Japanese manufacturers started exporting their sets in huge numbers into the UK retail market. It quickly became apparent to consumers that these sets were incredibly reliable compared to their British made counterparts, which took away the major reason for renting.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I once came across a B&O television set - it had a beautiful case, but the innards was a Philips G8... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The high end Sony 4:3 (KV-S2942U) that I had til recently (when its tube went open circuit on one of the primaries), made a credible stab at it. Upon disassembling (i.e. lobbing in the skip I had handy) it was apparent why. The speakers were actually built into proper enclosures inside the main box, a two way design with crossover and rear port handling the main channels, and a separate ported enclosure for a sub somewhere tucked round the back. I bought it at the same time as a proper surround sound system and hence did not even bothering listening to its audio in the shop - but was actually quite surprised when I heard what it could do.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes. (it's not a technical reason - computer VGS is pure analogue, and works OK - you just aren't allowed by the copyright holders)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

HDTV pictures, properly set up, are way better than SD pictures. HD runs 1080 lines, PAL SD is 576 so it's getting on for twice as sharp.

I'm also hearing rumours that SD broadcasts are compressed to the point of annoyance, but HD ones aren't. This makes the difference even more than it should be.

To get the best you need to get a screen with "full HD" - so it will play genuine 1080 line pictures. Many of the sets out there are 768 lines for no good reason - or at least not one anyone has ever persuaded me is a good reason (1). This reduces picture quality. a 720 line set is 2ndbest, *anything* else is a distant third. Unless you get that Samsung 2160 line one...

If you are buying a set, make sure it'll handle 720i, 720p, 1080i, and preferably 1080p and the 24FPS rate used on some movies. (2)

My view? I'd really like one. But not enough to spend several thousand on it. I'll keep my old CRT 4:3 set until it does - perhaps by then OLED will be a reasonable price!

Andy

(1) No, I don't believe that 42 inch LCD sets have 768 lines "because it's a computer standard". No computer screen even half that size has that few pixels.

(2) Merkin-speak for films.

Reply to
Andy Champ

My first colour set was a G6 - the one with regulated EHT and colour difference drive. And quite the worst sound I've ever had on any TV. SET valve output and a 4 inch speaker - covered in hum and inter carrier buzz. As soon as it was out of warranty modified it to give a line out to feed to the Hi-Fi - and I've never used internal sound on any TV since then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've just dipped into the HD world, and how much you notice it does depend on the original source, and the quality of the TV overall. Watching football on ITV in SD (if you're into that sort of thing) is attrocious compared to HD. But watching "Nature's Great Events" in HD isn't anywhere near as impressive (compared to the SD version) as I'd expected it to be. I guess my TV is doing a good job of upscaling the SD source to a 1920 x 1080 screen, if its given a decent enough SD source to start with.

It cost me =A3100 to go HD (compared to the other TV I was looking at, which was HD ready), and whilst its a nice future proofing, its =A3100 I could have easily spent elsewhere.

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Wildlife progs tend to have lots of closeups of things we wouldn't ordinarily see, so start off being impressive.

Where HD really scores is in wide shots - background detail. But drama techniques often choose lenses where this is out of focus anyway to concentrate the view on the important part.

Sport benefits from the reduced movement artifacts of HD - effectively higher refresh rates - which plague SD digital.

Watched a short recording of Joan Armitrading at Glastonbury last night - that was stunning in HD.

Other thing to remember is not all cameras and lenses do justice to SD - they may be off peak performance for a number of reasons. With HD more care is likely to be taken. For the moment at least.

Anyone who says they can't tell the difference has not seen it at its best

- or a faulty demonstration. And as I said my set is only 'half' HD.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wasn't a problem for just a week or so..

Usually a matter of days before they decided .. some said don't bring the old one back there and then!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Well so it should .. nothing wrong with digital transmission at all --

-provided that- there are sufficient bits transmitted;)....

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , BigGirlsBlouse scribeth thus

Just like good well reproduced analogue;~)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Baird 600 series Mono chassis and Phillips K70 colour were notably good..

Pix as well on both too..

Not quite in the same league as out Quad ESL63 system annexed to the TV these days..

The sound on some TV progs is excellent, seems they still have a few around in TV sound who know what there're doing;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

The B&O M6000 chassis set we've got isn't all that good ;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Depends on what you mean by good, I suppose.

Indeed. I've not used the internal speakers in a TV for many a year.

It's always used pretty well the same sort of chain as radio, so apart from the obvious limitations of the environment where is is sourced from shouldn't be any different. Except that TV doesn't process the audio 'at the transmitter' quite as heavily as most radio stations do.

Watched Red Riding the other day which had a very wide dynamic range - quite unusual these days. But of course means the ads came crashing in...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)