HDF?

Hi all

I've recently scrounged an old drawing board stand off freecycle but the 'board' is missing. I was thinking of using something like MDF to replace it but wondered if a higher density product was available HDF?

A quick google reveals HDF exists but appears to be used for flooring and I haven't found it in large enough sheets.

I'm looking for something a bit larger than 2A0 size (1682 x 1189 mm)

Suggestions for suitable materials please

Thanks in advance

Reply to
nicknoxx

Sorry, but the first thing I thought was "How da f*ck?" :o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Why do you need anything more dense? Mdf should be fine, you might put a laminate finish on it if you want a tougher surface.

Reply to
dennis

I generally use Valchromat (Avon Plywood in Keynsham) as a higher- density (mostly more resin) version of MDF.

However I wouldn't use either as a drawing board. Both of them are fairly stiff short-term (i.e. if you lean on them) but they're prone to long-term sagging if left unsupported. Blockboard (or plywood) is far better.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Something with High Pressure Laminate, HPL, on both sides.

Hmmm... Whiteboard tends to use a very hard laminate and available "off the shelf" so to speak. Not sure on size tho.

Reply to
js.b1

Best thing on each side is lino (real lino) - that's the traditional surface for drawing boards.

Although t'gaffer would hand you your cards for doing it, this surface will also take pins.

Proper whiteboard is both expensive and also slippery, neither of which are ideal for a drawing board.

A good surface for drawing boards (although it will need support) is a "self-healing" (they aren't) cutting mat. Not too expensive and they come in A1 and A0 quite readily.

Reply to
Andy Dingley