Have you not turned the power back on then?

As asked by todays customer just after he pressed the lightswitch

Well I never switched any MCBs off whilst changing the light fittings (there was no need to).

I replied "The reason your lights do not light up within 3 seconds of turning them on is because you bought B&Q shit energy saver light fittings, give them 5 minutes and you might be able to see something"

He was not happy.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

What sort of lamps did they use, or have in them?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The lights came supplied with no-name CFL GU10 lamps.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I cannot find the fitting on the B&Q website but the instalation instruction said to only use CFL lamps (11W max).

I was going to suggest LED lamps as a replacement, but I am not going to go against the manufacturers instructions.

Is the base hotter on a LED than a CFL?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I think some LEDs lamps are longer than CFLs - especially the ones with decent light output - and so might not fit the lampholder.

I can't see a (e.g.) 3 Watt LED lamp getting hotter than an 11 Watt CFL

- especially if the LED is supposed to be more efficient.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I suspect it means use CFL instead of a halogen GU10. They probably didn't think of LEDs. LED will run cooler - the max that can run in a GU10 format is around 3-4W before it gets too hot for efficient LED operation. That might even work out better than an 11W CFL, as small format CFL reflector lamps are not at all efficient.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

11w of any domestic lighting put out close to 11w of heat.

NT

Reply to
NT