Hardwood Surfaces and Upstand

We're renewing our kitchen and I'm trying to come to a decision on work-surfaces.

Some kind of moulded composite is top of my list, but looks as if it may be too expensive.

I like some granites, and the price is right, but it's an unforgiving surface.

I'd really like to go with some kind of hardwood, and don't mind oiling etc., but I *really* want to avoid having any kind of joint at the point where the surface meets the upstand.

Is there anyone who manufactures a hardwood surface with a built-in upstand, with a gently curved corner, rather than a right-angle and some perishable sealant?

Reply to
Sean Inglis

You can get anything bespoke like that from most small joiner's shops. Tell them what you want and they will tell you what they want. Or you could make one yourself. It isn't rocket science.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

It's rocket science to me, but I take your point - I'll see if I can find someone local to do it, thanks.

Reply to
Sean Inglis

IIRC Ikea do an upstand to match their beech worktops. Ugly looking thing of the same thickness as the top. Why not just tile down to the worktop?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Any situation where two surfaces meet and water is involved seems to result in the joint discolouring and perishing. I'd rather pay more for something seamless. Same with the sinks - undermount only in that case.

Reply to
Sean Inglis

Make your own. 1/2" router, skate jig and a tray cutter. Order the worktop timber a bit over-thickness and take height of the upstand off the top surface everywhere else.

Reply to
Andy Dingley