Handyman prices

Agreed. When a yoof in scruffy clothes turned up to pick my car up for its MOT I was very reluctant to part with it.

How does the council ensure that all participants are actually OK? If rogue traders join it could devalue the scheme completely. It specifically states on the web site that they don't check.

Reply to
Mark

I presume that the councils own works dept is approved by some other trade body;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Presumably they'd get thrown out of the Guild of Rogue Traders if they were caught registering for a FT scheme ;-)

Reply to
YAPH

OK you've sold me on it (you're in the wrong business Dave! :-)). Where do you get yours made?

Reply to
YAPH

> shows what happens if the client clicks through.

They don't check the standard of your work, its more like an ISO quality control thing. They insist on £2M PLI, a CRB check, that you have a written complaints proceedure, that you have a system for quotes & estimates, that you keep proper records etc. They do visit once a year for an audit & will get involved in disputes.

I wouldn't like to lose the status, so I would be inclined to sort any problems out properly.

They don't automatically come down on the side of the customer, if its an unrealistic complaint they will tell them so.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I was in sales for 30 years :-)

Local company called Bell Workwear, but there are loads of small firms around, bound to be one in Reading.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I thought you could only get CRB checked to work in a specific place, like a particular school?

Reply to
YAPH

You get a CRB check for each role/location you perform for each organisation with a different CRB coordination scheme (like a school). For example, I have to have one for being on a PTA and another for helping with Scouts. If I moved to a different school/PTA I would probably need another (as each school does its own rather than the local authority) but the Scout one would do for all Scout groups. If it's a professional organisation they will coordinate the CRB checking and it will cover for entry to homes and business premises to do tradesperson work while a member of their organisation. I think.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

So did I, but apparently things have changed.

Trading Standards told me to go to

which apparently carries out the same checks but is cheaper - and as far as they are concerned completely acceptable. Around £26 IIRC.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Should have added thats for a 'basic' disclosure which is all TS require.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I thought most of your work was south of the border? Or am I mistaken about where the Medway is? :-)

Reply to
YAPH

Interesting - any idea how much the English equivalent costs? I have one, but since I'm a volunteer I don't pay.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Yes indeed, south of Hadrians Wall. Medway is 30 miles SE of London, sort of diagonally opposite Reading :-)

TS told me to use Discloseure Scotland cos its cheaper. Dunno by how much though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Maybe you could get Chinese ones off eBay cheaper still ;-)

Reply to
YAPH

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember YAPH saying something like:

Hah. Relatedly, I recall when the Guild of Master Craftsmen was fairly new and touting for business. All it required was a willingness to part with thirty quid a year and that was it, done and dusted. There were another couple of similar schemes around at the time, same process. I never saw the point at the time, if there was no accountability or inspection and it was immediately obvious is was a money-raising wheeze for the organisers.

I don't suppose anything's changed.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon