Handirack: any good?

Not very DIY but I bet this group has the answers.

I'm looking for a low-cost way to get four people and their skis to the airport, in a normal hatchback. Looking at roof bars, they're about £90 a pair and they're specific to one model of car so not as much use as they might be.

Then I found the "Handirack"...

which is basically a pair of inflatable pillows that can be strapped onto the roof of any car. Pretty cheap at £49.99 all in.

Has anyone used a Handirack? Does it really work? What are the disadvantages?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

2 scratch lines on your car roof ?

about 4" wide by the looks of things. I'd rather spend the extra and keep a proper Thule rack in the boot. and how did the person in that example get the surf boards to the beach in the first place ?

total gimmick, imo.

YMMWV

Reply to
.

Why not consider a non slip mat on the roof of the car, and hold the ski's down with a couple of webbing straps looped right through the car door frames. Worked for us with a 5' double bed and mattress!! Surprisingly effective, I also use it for the boat on occasions, with a bit more fore and aft restraint. Some considerate driving may be required.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

What a good idea! Not just for skis (which wedon't use) - for anything! The frame for the Viking tent comes to mind ...

Thanks,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Having given it some more thought I've tried sitting in the car and visualising where the straps would be (either with your suggestion or the Handirack). That more-or-less kills the idea. Yes, it's nice to have a visible reminder in the car that there's something on top of the roof, but a two-inch webbing strap where the driver's eyes should be is going a bit too far.

Never mind. I'm coming to the reluctant conclusion that two cars is the cheapest option.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Been there, done that... also had a 3 seater sofa on top of a mini once... police car spotted us, shook their head in disbelief, and carried on their way (it was very well secured !)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Buy a second-hand set on ebay for 40 quid, then afterwards sell them the same way for a similar sum.

David

Reply to
Lobster