Hammerhead wedges

One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years, with two wedges at right-angles to each other). I could replace it, but sets of metal wedges - nearly all of which I'll never need - seem to cost nearly as much as a new hammer. Any ideas for a functional substitute?
--

Jeff

Jeff Layman wrote:

Can you get the wedge back in and soak the head in PEG (anti-freeze)?
Not tried it myself, but I gather it soaks in, swells the wood, but unlike water, once swelled it doesn't shrink back as it dries ...
On 17/06/18 09:25, Andy Burns wrote:

Unfortunately the next time I looked when the head had moved down the shaft a few mm the wedge had gone. I guess I could fashion a new one from a scrap piece of hardwood and try the antifreeze soak.
--

Jeff

On 17/06/18 12:09, Jeff Layman wrote:

Why not spend a few minutes of money?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/hammer-wedges
But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
On Sunday, 17 June 2018 12:09:24 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:

Surely using a wooden wedge is the obvious solution. You don't need PEG if the wood is dried.
NT
On 17/06/2018 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:

A new hammer
Araldite? grin. Brian
--
----- -

I just bought another with the tomahawk when one showed up in the aldi special buys.
Guess I could have just got some metal wedged from some wreck from the garage sales.
On 17/06/2018 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:

If wood wedges worked for twenty years, it sounds like making some new ones will get a similar life extension out of it.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 13:59:29 +0100, John Rumm

I mended a hammer by screwing a suitably fat screw into the wedge hole to splay out the wood.
--
Dave W

On Sunday, 17 June 2018 15:54:02 UTC+1, Dave W wrote:

ut

ld

I have a little old wood handled hammer where the handle has split badly ve ry close to the head. I can pare the handle down by hand or with a sander, but I'm not sure it would be accurate and thus a good tight fit. Is there a technique that can be recommended?
NT
On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 12:21:58 -0700 (PDT) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Epoxy?
On Monday, 18 June 2018 00:40:59 UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:

I suppose I hadn't thought of break & glue. I may as well try that before recutting the wood. Cheers.
NT
On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 9:06:18 AM UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:

A small piece of cast iron rainwater guttering was used as a substitute in the trade. If you can find a piece. I've even seen a small round headed nail knocked in the head of the shaft.

Far be it from me to divert attention from a fixing job ... but may I recommend the odd car boot sale? You may not find wedges there, but you're almost certain to find whole stalls of ancient (therefore fantastic quality) tools - usually filthy, and usually being sold by someone who'd just like to go home a kilo or two lighter than when he came, and get a quid or two into the bargain.
John
On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 08:57:19 UTC+1, Another John wrote:

great way to buy tools if you've got the time to spare
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That's why I said "the odd" .. I used to go to a local car boot regulary when I first retired. Then retirement started to bite, and I very rarely have that amount of time these days :-D
J.

That involves Getting Up. After 41 years of Getting Up, I don't do that any more.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 25th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 16:29:39 +0000, Huge wrote:

Ah. But now you have the luxury of Not Going To Sleep At All.
As I did last night, due to a crisis involving a friend. Mind, I feel shit now.

Not on your Nellie. I haven't done that since college days and I'm certainly not doing it now!

:o(
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 25th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184