Hairline cracks

I painted the walls four months ago, using Homebase/Dulux Emulsion (whatever I hadn't used up). I treated several hairline cracks beforehand with flexible filler out of the gun (the kind that is overpaintable after about an hour). But because the cracks were really hairline ones, I just smeared the filler on with a palette knife, forcing it into the crack, then wiped over with a damp sponge.

Now the cracks have reappeared. What can I use to prevent this from happening again? Maybe I *should* have used the gun and really forced the gunk into the crack. However, they really ARE hairline ones!

Cheers!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Use a flexible filler or mastic.

dg

Reply to
dg

Aren't you meant to widen hairline cracks (into a V shape) and then fill them. AFAIK, attempting to fill hairline cracks with filler is difficult/impossible to do properly.

David Hearn

In article , Mike Mitchell writes

I have an old house with lath and plaster ceilings & walls & this is an ongoing problem. There are small movements going on all the time which mean that cracks just open up again & again. I am just about to try some wall repair tape from screwfix:

is very thin and has a flexible self adhesive backing with a tissue paper like top layer. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it will flex enough to absorb movement and is paintable.

Reply to
fred