Ceiling cracks: using grout?

1970s house. Artexed ceilings. Hairline cracks have developed on the ceilings, where the plasterboard panels meet.

Polyfilla and others sell "No More Cracks" filler or similar for this problem.

Question: Would it be OK to use tile grout to fill the cracks? AFAIK grout is basically a thin cement mixture with some flexibility.

Or should I just leave the cracks -- they'll open up again if I fill 'em!

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Squirt in some 3:1 PVA, don't rake out the cracks first. Use a squeezy botle with a short length (2") of 15mm pipe lagging tied tightly around the bottle top. Cut off the foam lagging at 90 degrees with a sharp knife. Press the cut off end against the crack, squeeze until PVA has gone in, stop when drips appear at each side of lagging where it presses against the crack/ceiling. Repeat, following the crack along. Sponge off x/s with a damp sponge. Wear a hat or something. Protect floor and furnishings. Allow to dry, repeat optional, fill with polyfiller.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Bath sealant should do the trick I would have thought.

sPoNiX

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Or just fill with some flexible decorator's filler...

Reply to
Grunff

Ahbut, sticking it together does a far better job, if the crack is "fine", say 1/2 mm, caulk won't take up the movement. The PVA treatment is also excellent for plaster & lathe ceilings, as it glues up any sandy stuff which would otherwise fall from above, bulging any paper and displacing filler... try it!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No, it won't. It will be very visible (shiny), and is not overpaintable.

Reply to
Grunff

While I'm a *big* fan of PVA, I've used flexible filler on all the fine cracks we had in our plaster, with very good results. Much quicker and easier IMHO.

Reply to
Grunff

I'd just waft a filling knife, float, or whatever over, with some ordinary filler, over plaster - however, the OP said "Hairline cracks have developed on the ceilings, where the plasterboard panels meet.". The benefit of squirting in PVA is that it sticks the lot together, not just the edges of the PB - it glues PB to joist, too, which re-inforces the joint considerably. I've used it doing odd jobs in lets, and on P&L ceilings - it really is much better than just filling the cracks, which otherwise just open up again in big oblong patterns in no time.

A problem with flexible filler is that it can "shine through" a couple of coats of emulsion. You can't really sand the stuff to feather it, either. However, I use quite a bit of it - the Ceramide stuff is good.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The non-silicone stuff should be overpaintable.

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

filling

couple

How about if I used some artex patch filler?

would match the existing ceiling artex OK. But would the crack just open up again in time?

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

As to the original question, IME grout is very inflexible.

Reply to
Stuart Noble