Gutter running alongside a wall?

So.. I've got the back wall of the house, and a second 10 foot+ garden wall about a metre beyond it. There's currently a flat roof between the two which needs completely replacing. (i.e. the roof sits between two walls which extend up beyond the level of the roof).

So... it'd be wall plate on each side, joists across, then board + felt. However I need the gutter to run along the long side i.e next to the wall. What's the most sensible way to achieve this (I can't yet see how it's done at the moment). I could see a kind of U-shaped trough attached to one wall - with the gutter running in the trough and the joist resting on the 'U' upright rather than right against the wall. Is that right? How should the 'U' be formed so it's strong enough.

Like that? (If the ascii art works!)

Reply to
Andrew Baker

search google for box gutter detail and look at some images

Reply to
Phil L